GALLERY: Dunn makes the difference as Wisbech Town ladies pick up wins over Lincoln and Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Georgie Dunn was twice the hero as Wisbech Town kicked off 2015 with back to back wins.
Dunn scored a deflection from a penalty corner in Wisbech’s 1-0 win over Lincoln on Saturday.
The following day, Dunn again struck from a penalty corner in a 1-0 win over Norwich city in the Ladies’ Trophy. They take on Spalding in the next round on February 8.
Captain Leanne Williamson, reflecting on the Lincoln win, said: “I thought we played excellently considering the lack of training we’ve had due to weather and Christmas. We were always in control of the game.”
Williamson says Wisbech, who are fifth in East Women’s Division 1N, have set themselves a promotion target.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We are still aiming for promotion so we will be pushing hard for maximum points out of every game from here on in, despite losing a couple of players over the Christmas break to injury and work commitments.”
In East Men’s Division 2N, March Town men returned from the Christmas break with a 4-3 win over Cambridge University 3.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 3 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 Hauliers on how they are tackling the HGV driver shortage crisis
- 6 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 7 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 8 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 9 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
The visitors took the lead but March equalised through Jacob Fraser, whose shot somehow found its way into the back of the net.
Cambridge retook the lead when March had switched off and allowed a Cambridge player to run into the ‘D’ unmarked to slot home.
With half time approaching March levelled when Jody Betts fired home to make it 2-2.
In the second half, Cambridge made it 3-2 after March failed to clear their lines.
The pivotal moment came midway through the half when Cambridge were reduced to 10 men.
March capitalised with Ben Wright scoring a quick brace. Ashley Welland assisted both goals.
March Town ladies’ match at Cambridge South II was postponed due to frozen pitch.