GALLERY: Eight try Wisbech dismantle Mersea Island
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech bagged eight tries in a 50-3 win over Mersea Island in Eastern Counties 1.
The game was played in damp conditions which made ball-handling very difficult.
After the early exchanges it soon became obvious that Wisbech had more than enough fire power to deal with the visitors.
They secured a four-try bonus point by half time and racked up four more tries after the break.
Skipper Solomon Priestidge, Ramimondas Vinksna, Kerrie Mcmullen, Kokars Agris, James Napier and Matt Esser all had solid performances but Sam Anderson was made man of the match.
You may also want to watch:
The game came at a cost for Wisbech - prop James Griffin was forced to the leave the field with a nasty eye injury which required hospital treatment and veteran Mat Desborough picked up an ankle injury.
Wisbech will be looking to pick up their first win on the road in a year at Norwich Crusaders on Saturday.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
Wisbech Wildcats put off a valiant showing against top of the table North Walsham but lost 28-7.
A heroic defensive effort by the inexperienced visitors saw the sides go in level at 0-0 at the break.
After the break, North Walsham showed why they are leaders and for 20 minutes were able to dominate possession, scoring three well worked tries.
Wisbech showed their resolve and instead of capitulating got their hands on the ball for Nick Thompsett to feed Will Boreham to go over. Thompsett added the extras.
Wisbech conceded a penalty try with the last play of the game.