GALLERY: Eight try Wisbech dismantle Mersea Island
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech bagged eight tries in a 50-3 win over Mersea Island in Eastern Counties 1.
The game was played in damp conditions which made ball-handling very difficult.
After the early exchanges it soon became obvious that Wisbech had more than enough fire power to deal with the visitors.
They secured a four-try bonus point by half time and racked up four more tries after the break.
Skipper Solomon Priestidge, Ramimondas Vinksna, Kerrie Mcmullen, Kokars Agris, James Napier and Matt Esser all had solid performances but Sam Anderson was made man of the match.
You may also want to watch:
The game came at a cost for Wisbech - prop James Griffin was forced to the leave the field with a nasty eye injury which required hospital treatment and veteran Mat Desborough picked up an ankle injury.
Wisbech will be looking to pick up their first win on the road in a year at Norwich Crusaders on Saturday.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 5 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 6 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 9 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
Wisbech Wildcats put off a valiant showing against top of the table North Walsham but lost 28-7.
A heroic defensive effort by the inexperienced visitors saw the sides go in level at 0-0 at the break.
After the break, North Walsham showed why they are leaders and for 20 minutes were able to dominate possession, scoring three well worked tries.
Wisbech showed their resolve and instead of capitulating got their hands on the ball for Nick Thompsett to feed Will Boreham to go over. Thompsett added the extras.
Wisbech conceded a penalty try with the last play of the game.