GALLERY: Escorcio hat-trick helps March Town United pick up clinical Leiston win
- Credit: Archant
March Town United chairman Phil White has lavished praise on manager Chris Bartlett and his players for their “amazing” start to the year.
The Hares followed up last Tuesday’s stunning 5-3 Cambs Invitation Cup win over higher level Histon with a 4-1 win against Leiston Reserves in the league on Saturday.
Lethal pair Denny Escorcio and Dan Woods again did the damage - Escorcio hit a hat-trick and the league’s joint top scorer Woods made it 23 for the season.
White said: “It’s amazing. Chris Bartlett has done a fantastic job. Credit to the players, they are getting a lot of approaches from other sides but they’re turning them down.
“It’s been some turnaround. We spoke with Chris before the start of the season about a three year plan but we’ve done miles better than we expected.
You may also want to watch:
“Our target was a top 10 finish but it looks like we’ll do comfortably better than that. And there’s the cup semi final to look forward to as well. Hopefully we can get a home draw.”
The Hares, who are sixth in the Thurlow Nunn First Division, travel to leaders Long Melford on Saturday.
- 1 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 2 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Organisers plan for low-key return of Chatteris Midsummer Festival
- 5 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 Salon owner grateful to be 'back doing what I love'
- 8 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 9 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 10 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
Manager Chris Bartlett said: “I’m very pleased with the lads. They deserve a lot of credit. Leiston was not a polished performance but it was a good win.
“We desperately want to push on. The top two are probably out of reach but the top four is not out of the question.
“Long Melford is a massive game. They are the only side who have given us a hiding this season (March lost 4-0) so we are very determined to go there and get a result.”