GALLERY: Fenland cricket round-up - June 15-16
- Credit: Archant
Gary Freear’s hat-trick heroics inspire Wisbech to a nail-biting Rutland League win.
MARCH CRICKET CLUB
Rob Tombs, fresh from 185 the previous week, smacked 73 as March II claimed back-to back CCA Senior Division One wins, beating Great Shelford by 75 runs.
March posted 205-5 before off-spinner Richard Green’s 5-29 reduced Great Shelford to 130 all out.
James Shepherd made 34 and took 6-21 as March III beat Haddenham by 44 runs in CCA Junior Division Two North.
You may also want to watch:
In CCA Junior Division Four North, Bill Hilliard’s 50 and Rob Conyard’s unbeaten 46 helped March IV secure a 78-run win over Burwell III.
Sam Mason took 4-28 as the visitors, chasing 181, were bowled out for 102.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 8 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 9 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 10 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
In the Fenland Trophy, the Sunday II lost by 34 runs to Doddington, despite 66 from Jake Beart and 4-55 from Josh Jackman.
WISBECH CRICKET CLUB
GARY Freear grabbed a hat-trick in figures of 5-36 to help Wisbech beat Eaton Socon by nine runs in Rutland League Division One.
Wisbech batted first and made 189 before Freear’s heroics restricted Eaton to 180.
Wisbech II were awarded a 10 wicket run after Camden could not field a team in CCA Senior Division Two.
Ben Tarrett picked up remarkable figures of 6-12 as Wisbech III beat Waterbeach by 80 runs in CCA Junior Division Two North.
Wisbech II batted first and made 249-8, with Zack Brown hitting 73 not out, before Tarrett restricted Waterbeach to 169.
In CCA Junior Division Four North, Nick Drew’s 5-16 helped Wisbech IV beat Isleham by seven wickets.
The Rutland seconds lost to Oakham by three wickets in Rutland League Division Five and the Fenland Trophy side went down to Somersham Town by 10 runs.
CHATTERIS CRICKET CLUB
Chatteris lost at table toppers Kimbolton by eight wickets in CCA Senior Division One.
Kurt Cunningham top scored with 47 as Chatteris were dismissed for 111, which Kimbolton chased down with ease.
In CCA Junior Division Two North, Chatteris II lost against Granta III.
Stuart Porter made 40 but Chatteris II were dismissed for 145.
Danny Lynch, playing in his first season in senior cricket, grabbed 4-34 but Granta got home with four wickets in hand.
The Fenland XI had a great 37 run victory away at Wimblington.
Chatteris batted first and found themselves 85-3 but a blistering partnership of 119 from father and son duo Grant Osbourn, who made 77, and Alex Osbourn, who struck 63, helped them reach 204.
Wimblington replied with 167-7, with Stuart Porter’s 3-2 and Harry Matthews’ 3-32 doing the damage.