GALLERY: Fenland football round-up - Buckden forfeit game to help Burwell Swifts pip Doddington United to league
- Credit: Archant
Doddington United have been pipped to the NMC 1B title by Burwell Swifts.
Goals from Craig Gillies, Paul Rowell, Gary Smith and Joe Waters saw them beat March Town United Reserves 4-0 but Burwell secured the title after a 4-1 win over March reserves followed by Buckden’s decision to hand them three points by forfeiting Wednesday’s game
They remain in a battle with Godmanchester Rovers Reserves for second place.
Richard Allen scored a hat-trick but Chatteris Town Reserves lost at Buckden. They also lost 3-1 at Bottisham and Lode.
Whittlesey United crushed Deeping Rangers Reserves 5-1 in the Peterborough and District League.
Goals from Sam Murphy (2), Jason Day and Joe Woods helped Leverington Sports beat Riverside 4-2, but Matthew Heron and Ashley Gostic’s goals could not prevent Whittlesey Blue Star losing 5-2 to Uppingham Town.
Coates Athletic beat Peterborough ICA Sports 3-2. Kevin Gilbert, Rik Green and Paul Hibbins got the goals.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 5 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 10 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
Wisbech St Mary lost 4-0 at Great Shelford in the Cambs Premier League while, in Senior A, Chatteris Town lost 3-0 at Hemingsford United.
In Senior B, Wimblington drew 2-2 with Fowlmere.
James Lawes and Jonathan Secker were on target but Outwell swifts lost 4-2 at Hardwick Reserves. Secker also bagged a brace against Longstanton in a 3-2 loss.