GALLERY: Fenland’s best rise to the top at March finals day
THIS season’s top performers were at the fore on Saturday as March and District Bowls League held its annual finals day.
Dozens of bowlers from across Fenland made the trip to the March Town Green for the day to determine who would pick up this season’s major honours.
The men’s singles title was won by Doug Turner of CMB after he recorded a 21-9 win over Peter Butcher of the host club, while Jeanetter Goebbels (March Town A) beat Barbara Lesage (Upwell Park) 21-19 to claim the ladies’ title.
The knock-out cup was won by March Town, who beat rivals March GER 99-50.
The men’s pairs trophy was won by Ron Ellington and John Buffham (Manea) as they beat Roger Gladwin and Paul Hayes (Christchurch), 18-17, while the ladies’ pairs event was won by Janet Anderson and Ann Halsey (March Town) with a 28-11 win over Jill Hensby and Sandy Readman of Upwell Park.
Sandy Wortley and Cyril Scotcher of March Town won the mixed pairs trophy by beating Betty Edwards and Steve Scarborough, of Upwell Park, 25-18.
Triples champions were Paul Bennet, Andy Hailes and Neil Parnell (CMB) as they beat Peter Butcher, Kevin Beavis and Dave Smith (March Town), 17-9.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Church gets set for annual Christmas tree festival
Roger Gladwin, Bob Hicks, Malcolm Hicks and Paul Hayes, of Christchurch, recorded a 29-14 win over Ken Bachelor, Bob Foster, Colin Luxford and John White (GER) to take the fours trophy.