GALLERY: Fenland’s best rise to the top at March finals day
THIS season’s top performers were at the fore on Saturday as March and District Bowls League held its annual finals day.
Dozens of bowlers from across Fenland made the trip to the March Town Green for the day to determine who would pick up this season’s major honours.
The men’s singles title was won by Doug Turner of CMB after he recorded a 21-9 win over Peter Butcher of the host club, while Jeanetter Goebbels (March Town A) beat Barbara Lesage (Upwell Park) 21-19 to claim the ladies’ title.
The knock-out cup was won by March Town, who beat rivals March GER 99-50.
The men’s pairs trophy was won by Ron Ellington and John Buffham (Manea) as they beat Roger Gladwin and Paul Hayes (Christchurch), 18-17, while the ladies’ pairs event was won by Janet Anderson and Ann Halsey (March Town) with a 28-11 win over Jill Hensby and Sandy Readman of Upwell Park.
You may also want to watch:
Sandy Wortley and Cyril Scotcher of March Town won the mixed pairs trophy by beating Betty Edwards and Steve Scarborough, of Upwell Park, 25-18.
Triples champions were Paul Bennet, Andy Hailes and Neil Parnell (CMB) as they beat Peter Butcher, Kevin Beavis and Dave Smith (March Town), 17-9.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 5 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 6 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 7 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
Roger Gladwin, Bob Hicks, Malcolm Hicks and Paul Hayes, of Christchurch, recorded a 29-14 win over Ken Bachelor, Bob Foster, Colin Luxford and John White (GER) to take the fours trophy.