Gallery: Fenland’s newest youth team holds charity tournament
A YOUTH football club registered just a week ago held its first fundraiser with a tournament on Saturday.
Fenland Rovers is based in Upwell and Christchurch and affiliated to the Cambridgeshire Colts. It was officially registered last Thursday and held its first tournament at Christchurch, raising �800 for club funds.
Teams from Manea, Whittlesey and Gayton took part in the tournament. The Manea Wasps won the under-9s tournament and the Fenland Rovers won the under-12s section.
The tournament continued into Sunday with teams from Hungate, Downham Market and Leverington. The Leverington team came out on top.
Club founder Pamela Salmon said: “The club is all about developing the children’s skills and helping them to enjoy the game.”
You may also want to watch:
Fenland Rovers will field teams in the under-7s, 8s, 9s, 12s and 14s of the Cambridgeshire Colts league next season. Sponsors are still needed for the under-8s and under-14s kits.
Ms Salmon was formerly the under-13s manager for Outwell Swifts.
- 1 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 2 Long-serving work couple leaving Fens for Nigeria to build care home
- 3 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 5 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 6 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 7 Primary school joins laureate's £100m-a-year bid to boost libraries
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- 10 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
Training is held on Wednesday evenings from 6pm at Upwell.