Gallery: Fenland’s newest youth team holds charity tournament
A YOUTH football club registered just a week ago held its first fundraiser with a tournament on Saturday.
Fenland Rovers is based in Upwell and Christchurch and affiliated to the Cambridgeshire Colts. It was officially registered last Thursday and held its first tournament at Christchurch, raising �800 for club funds.
Teams from Manea, Whittlesey and Gayton took part in the tournament. The Manea Wasps won the under-9s tournament and the Fenland Rovers won the under-12s section.
The tournament continued into Sunday with teams from Hungate, Downham Market and Leverington. The Leverington team came out on top.
Club founder Pamela Salmon said: “The club is all about developing the children’s skills and helping them to enjoy the game.”
Fenland Rovers will field teams in the under-7s, 8s, 9s, 12s and 14s of the Cambridgeshire Colts league next season. Sponsors are still needed for the under-8s and under-14s kits.
Ms Salmon was formerly the under-13s manager for Outwell Swifts.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 6 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 7 Happy Hares boss confident more progress is yet to come
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 10 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
Training is held on Wednesday evenings from 6pm at Upwell.