Gallery: Fenland’s newest youth team holds charity tournament
A YOUTH football club registered just a week ago held its first fundraiser with a tournament on Saturday.
Fenland Rovers is based in Upwell and Christchurch and affiliated to the Cambridgeshire Colts. It was officially registered last Thursday and held its first tournament at Christchurch, raising �800 for club funds.
Teams from Manea, Whittlesey and Gayton took part in the tournament. The Manea Wasps won the under-9s tournament and the Fenland Rovers won the under-12s section.
The tournament continued into Sunday with teams from Hungate, Downham Market and Leverington. The Leverington team came out on top.
Club founder Pamela Salmon said: “The club is all about developing the children’s skills and helping them to enjoy the game.”
You may also want to watch:
Fenland Rovers will field teams in the under-7s, 8s, 9s, 12s and 14s of the Cambridgeshire Colts league next season. Sponsors are still needed for the under-8s and under-14s kits.
Ms Salmon was formerly the under-13s manager for Outwell Swifts.
- 1 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 Alleged paedophile released on bail
Training is held on Wednesday evenings from 6pm at Upwell.