Gallery: Fenland’s newest youth team holds charity tournament
A YOUTH football club registered just a week ago held its first fundraiser with a tournament on Saturday.
Fenland Rovers is based in Upwell and Christchurch and affiliated to the Cambridgeshire Colts. It was officially registered last Thursday and held its first tournament at Christchurch, raising �800 for club funds.
Teams from Manea, Whittlesey and Gayton took part in the tournament. The Manea Wasps won the under-9s tournament and the Fenland Rovers won the under-12s section.
The tournament continued into Sunday with teams from Hungate, Downham Market and Leverington. The Leverington team came out on top.
Club founder Pamela Salmon said: “The club is all about developing the children’s skills and helping them to enjoy the game.”
You may also want to watch:
Fenland Rovers will field teams in the under-7s, 8s, 9s, 12s and 14s of the Cambridgeshire Colts league next season. Sponsors are still needed for the under-8s and under-14s kits.
Ms Salmon was formerly the under-13s manager for Outwell Swifts.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 3 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 6 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 9 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
- 10 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
Training is held on Wednesday evenings from 6pm at Upwell.