GALLERY: First home game for 15 years kicks off new era for football in Gorefield
FOOTBALL in Gorefield entered a new era on Saturday as the village team played their first home game for almost 15 years.
The club, who folded more than a decade ago, reformed as Gorefield Athletic this season - and they are still unbeaten in their new guise.
They sit fifth in Cambs Division 5D and their impressive start hit a new high at the weekend as they smashed rivals March Saracens 4-0 in the Lower Junior Cup. Goals from Lyndon Woods (2), John Feltell and Luke Venni ensured they cruised into the next round.
Delighted boss Martin Pettit said: “The first five games we had were all away so we’ve had to wait for that first home game.
“It’s a new era for the club and the support we’ve had from Gorefield Parish Council has been absolutely outstanding, with new goals provided.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve built a team from scratch and watching how they have been playing is very satisfying. We’re punching above our weight against teams we shouldn’t really be beating.”
Work on a new �235,000 sports pavilion and community hall is now under way at Gorefield Playing Field and a five-year plan has been drawn up to target progression on the pitch.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
• CHATTERIS Town’s miserable start to the season continued as they crashed out of the Kershaw Premier League Cup with a 4-0 defeat to Eaton Socon on Saturday.
Wisbech St Mary also tasted defeat, as a Joe Woods goal failed to prevent them from falling to a 4-1 league loss against Soham Town Rangers Reserves.