GALLERY: Four goal Whittlesey (Coates) Athletic regain top spot in the Peterborough and District League
- Credit: Archant
Joe Butterworth (2), Matthew Heron and Adam Piergianni were on target as Whittlesey (Coates) Athletic thumped Sawtry 4-0 on Saturday ... then received an unexpected boost as title rivals Oakham United slipped up against Thorney.
Those two results mean Whittlesey returned to the top of the Peterborough and District League, two points ahead of Oakham (although they have played two games more).
Also in that league, Leverington Sports lost 3-1 to Stilton United.
In Division One, Mark Newton got the goal as leaders Whittlesey (Coates) Athletic Reserves won 1-0 at Long Sutton Athletic.
Joe Harrison and Ben Partridge scored in Sutton Bridge United’s 2-2 draw at Langtoft United Reserves, Wisbech Town Reserves lost 1-0 to Ryhall United and Sean Prentice’s goal could not prevent Whittlesey Blue Star losing 3-1 to Peterborough ICA Sports.
In the Kershaw Premier, Wisbech St Mary lost 3-1 at Great Shelford.
Chatteris Town carried on their tremendous season with a stunning 3-2 win at Kershaw Senior A leaders Hemingfords United. Ross Alexander, Simon Howard and Anton Kaval got the goals.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
In Kershaw Senior B, Craig Gillies hit a hat-trick and Gary Smith scored as Doddington United gave their title hopes a massive shot in the arm with a 4-0 win over second placed Barrington.
David Jackson and Sean White scored but March Town United Reserves lost 3-2 to Buckden in NMC 1B. Wisbech St Mary Reserves lost 3-2 at Bar Hill Saturday and Manea United were thrashed 7-0 by Huntingdon United.
In NMC 2B, March Rangers beat Mepal Sports 2-0.
In NMC 3B, Benwick Athletic drew 1-1 with Girton United Reserves, while Wimblington Reserves lost 5-0 to Houghton & Wyton.
Alex Ashley was in lethal form, scoring four times, and Jamie Taylor was also on target as Chatteris Fen Tigers beat Hemingsford United A 5-3.
Richard Allen scored in Chatteris Town A’s 1-1 draw with Earith United. Upwell Town drew 2-2 with Lakenheath Casuals.