GALLERY: Four goal Whittlesey (Coates) Athletic regain top spot in the Peterborough and District League
- Credit: Archant
Joe Butterworth (2), Matthew Heron and Adam Piergianni were on target as Whittlesey (Coates) Athletic thumped Sawtry 4-0 on Saturday ... then received an unexpected boost as title rivals Oakham United slipped up against Thorney.
Those two results mean Whittlesey returned to the top of the Peterborough and District League, two points ahead of Oakham (although they have played two games more).
Also in that league, Leverington Sports lost 3-1 to Stilton United.
In Division One, Mark Newton got the goal as leaders Whittlesey (Coates) Athletic Reserves won 1-0 at Long Sutton Athletic.
Joe Harrison and Ben Partridge scored in Sutton Bridge United’s 2-2 draw at Langtoft United Reserves, Wisbech Town Reserves lost 1-0 to Ryhall United and Sean Prentice’s goal could not prevent Whittlesey Blue Star losing 3-1 to Peterborough ICA Sports.
You may also want to watch:
In the Kershaw Premier, Wisbech St Mary lost 3-1 at Great Shelford.
Chatteris Town carried on their tremendous season with a stunning 3-2 win at Kershaw Senior A leaders Hemingfords United. Ross Alexander, Simon Howard and Anton Kaval got the goals.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 4 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 5 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 6 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 7 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 8 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 9 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
In Kershaw Senior B, Craig Gillies hit a hat-trick and Gary Smith scored as Doddington United gave their title hopes a massive shot in the arm with a 4-0 win over second placed Barrington.
David Jackson and Sean White scored but March Town United Reserves lost 3-2 to Buckden in NMC 1B. Wisbech St Mary Reserves lost 3-2 at Bar Hill Saturday and Manea United were thrashed 7-0 by Huntingdon United.
In NMC 2B, March Rangers beat Mepal Sports 2-0.
In NMC 3B, Benwick Athletic drew 1-1 with Girton United Reserves, while Wimblington Reserves lost 5-0 to Houghton & Wyton.
Alex Ashley was in lethal form, scoring four times, and Jamie Taylor was also on target as Chatteris Fen Tigers beat Hemingsford United A 5-3.
Richard Allen scored in Chatteris Town A’s 1-1 draw with Earith United. Upwell Town drew 2-2 with Lakenheath Casuals.