GALLERY: Frost wins record fifth men’s singles title at March & District Bowls Finals day
- Credit: Archant
THE March & District Bowls Finals day was held at Upwell Park Bowls Green on Saturday.
Roly Frost, of Christchurch, won the Men’s Singles for a record fifth time, beating John Buffham of Manea by 21-12.
Murrow’s Lorraine Smith won the Ladies Singles, beating Manea’s Shirley Buffham 21-16.
In the Pairs competition Phil Cross and Colin Griffin of Wisbech’s CMB Bowls Club (CMB) defeated Doug Turner and Grandson Reece Barr of CMB by 29-4.
An excellent display by Wimblington duo Jenny Buck and Skip Penny Hicks saw them overcome Lynn Humphrey and June Hailes of CMB by 26- 15.
Vice president Peter Butcher and partner Ann Halsey from March Town beat fellow clubmates Sandy Wortley and Cyril Scotcher in the Mixed Pairs by 17-15.
The Christchurch Trio of Lynda Chamberlain, Geoff Bassett and Gordon Green overwhelmed the triple of Brian Wilshaw, Lorraine Smith and Ian Gover from Murrow by 19-5.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
The Fours trophy was won by the March Town block of Bob Plater, Dave Smith, Ged Hudson and Keith Hunt who defeated the March Cons block of Derek Stacey, Brett Chapman, Clive Chapman and Brian Hollingsworth by 23-12.
In the afternoon the KO Cup final was held and after a close tussle March Town emerged as the winners by beating CMB 70 shots to 57. This ensured the league and cup double for the March team and league and cup runners up double for CMB.