GALLERY: Hockey round-up 15-16 March
- Credit: Archant
BRAGGING rights were at stake in a series of local derbies over the weekend.
Goals from Claire Apted, Nat Ward and Georgie Dunn helped Wisbech Ladies to a 3-0 win over Long Sutton Ladies.
Wisbech Ladies III twice came out on top against March Ladies in their weekend double-header.
In the Saturday game played at March Wisbech Ladies won 1-0.
The next day the sides met again in Wisbech with the hosts securing a hard-fought 2-1 win.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech struck twice from short corners while Bekki Bell found the net for the visitors.
Wisbech Hockey Club
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 6 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 7 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 8 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 9 'Eccentric traveller' spotted riding vintage bicycle ahead of historic trip
- 10 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
WISBECH fought back from two goals down against league leaders Cambridge University II but fell to a last minute 3-2 defeat.
After a scoreless first half, Cambridge went ahead in controversial fashion.
Wisbech’s back line thought the ball had run out of play in the build up to Cambridge’s goal but it was allowed.
The hosts doubled their lead moments later but Wisbech rallied and a penalty corner was lashed in by Sam Blunt.
Blunt equalised with his second drag flick of the game moments later but Cambridge struck late to deny Wisbech a share of the spoils.
WISBECH men’s II had a day to remember with a comprehensive 9-1 demoliton of Ely City II but for Wisbech III it was a day to forget as they lost 15-1 to Alford & District.
WISBECH men’s IV beat Bourne Deeping IV 4-2.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
DANNY Sisson scored a hat-trick to help Sutton thump Colchester 5-0.
Sisson found the net twice to put Sutton two goals up at half time.
After the break Joshua Fyson continued his rich vein of form with the hosts third goal before Allen made it four.
Sisson had the final say with Long Sutton’s fifth goal.
BEN Shore scored four goals and Nick Bailey netted a hat-trick as the men’s II producing a commanding display of attacking hockey to thump City of Peterborough VI 8-1.
Ben Shore’s brother Andy Shore also found the net.
THE men’s III were in similarly devastating form, thumping Alford & District II 6-0 to secure second in the league.
Matt Grange, Alex Canham and Ed White all scored doubles.
TWO goals from Leah Goodley and a Rachel Gadsden strike were not enough to stop the ladies II losing a high-scoring encounter 5-3 against Woodhall Spa.
March Town Hockey Club
MARCH Town battled hard but lost 4-2 away at Cambridge Nomads.
The men’s II came out on the wrong side of an 11 goal thriller, losing 5-6 to St Ives II.
Jody Betts got a hat trick and Rob Mitchell scored a brace but their efforts proved to be in vain.
The men’s III were thumped 5-0 by Horncastle.