GALLERY: Hockey round up
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech suffer an agonising last minute defeat to dent their promotion aspirations.
Wisbech Hockey Club
WISBECH I’s promotion hopes were dealt a massive blow when they lost 4-3 to a dogged Norwich City outfit.
The hosts stormed into a two-goal lead, with Brad Apted and Gavin Johnstone finding the net from two well-worked penalty corners.
Norwich pulled one back before half-time and grabbed a dubious equaliser early in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Johnstone restored Wisbech’s lead from a trademark penalty corner finish but Norwich again pulled level from a penalty corner before pouncing to score a late winner.
Wisbech travel to in-form league leaders Ramgarhia tomorrow.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 3 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 6 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 7 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 8 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
A HAT-TRICK from Sam Dunn helped the men’s II maintain their unbeaten record with a 7-1 win over Cambridge Nomads Men’s II. The other goals came from Matt Goodwin, Matt Pooley and a brace for Hugo Atkins.
The men’s III secured a hard-fought 2-0 win over St Neots but the men’s IV were beaten 3-1 by Cambridge South III.
l THE Ladies II are just a point behind Premier League leaders Rutland after a 3-3 draw with Cambridge University III. Player of the match Gilly Dunn scored twice, with Emma Baker also finding the net.
The Ladies III lost 3-0 against St Neots III.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
LONG Sutton I suffered a 5-1 defeat against Harleston Magpies II, with Gary Hales scoring their only goal.
The men’s II surrendered a two-goal lead before Ben Shore’s strike clinched a 3-2 win over Spalding II. Danny Batten and Nick Bailey had put the home side two goals up after only five minutes.
A double from Jason Mallet and goals from Ed White and Calvin Bishop helped the men’s III come out 4-1 winners against the men’s IV in the inter-club derby. Ian White netted a consolation effort for the IVs.
LONG Sutton Ladies fought back from a goal down to beat Watton 3-2. Robyn Gribble, Leanne Woodhead and Lou Southgate found the net.
The mixed team were hammered 7-0 by a strong Harleston outfit boasting national league players and ex-internationals.
March Hockey Club
MARCH I battled hard but succumbed to a comprehensive 5-1 defeat against Ford. Matt Bamford grabbed their only goal.
The men’s II also lost, with Jody Betts’ strike proving in vain as they were beaten 3-1 by Peterborough VI.
It was a different story for the men’s III, who produced a stunning performance to thrash Spalding III 8-3.
March Ladies’ match was cancelled because of snow.