GALLERY: Hockey round-up
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech men’s II and Long Sutton men’s II both secured promotion at the weekend.
WISBECH HOCKEY CLUB
THE all-conquering men’s II secured promotion with a breath-taking attacking display against Cambridge City.
Matt Goodwin started the rout with a superbly taken opener before Hugo Atkins and Lee Peck extended the lead.
Goodwin and Atkins added another two more before half-time to give Wisbech a 5-0 lead at the break.
The men’s II eased up in the second half but Jason Esser popped up with a minute to go to make it 6-0.
Sam Markillie scored the only goal of a hard-fought encounter against Waltham Forest to keep Wisbech men’s promotion push on track.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Markillie slid in at the far post to put the finishing touch to a well-worked penalty corner routine.
Their next game is a top of the table clash against Cambridge University.
The men’s III fought back after going three goals behind against Rutland but lost 3-2.
James Williams and Richard Claxton found the net to give Wisbech hope of an unlikely comeback but they ran out of time.
Goals from Georgie Dunn and Steph Hanlon helped the ladies avenge last season’s defeat to Lowestoft with an impressive 2-1 away win.
Dunn put the visitors in front before Lowestoft equalised but Hanlon struck late from a goal-line scramble to secure the crucial win.
Their next match is a derby game against Long Sutton.
Four goals from Nicole Rowell and a Harriet Bateman strike helped the ladies III to a commanding 5-0 win over Newmarket ladies III.
LONG SUTTON HOCKEY CLUB
The men’s II have been promoted from Division 4 North West after beating St Neots II 3-0.
Nick Bailey opened the scoring before Ben Shore struck twice to seal the win.
The men’s first team ground out a hard-fought 2-1 win away at Crostyx.
Connor Allen and Gary Hales gave Long Sutton an early two goal lead before Crostyx pulled a goal back.
Scott Ingram found the net but the men’s III were held 1-1 by Spalding IV.
Goals from John Sullivan and Andy Clarke were not enough to stop the men’s IV suffering a heavy 5-2 defeat at the hands of Leadenham.
Kate Ireland put Long Sutton ladies ahead with a neat finish but Dereham grabbed a late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw.
The ladies II were beaten 3-1 by Boston in a competitive encounter.
MARCH TOWN HOCKEY CLUB
March men had a day to forget as they were thumped 4-0 at home by Ely.
The men’s III came out on the wrong side of a seven goal thriller against Spalding II, suffering a dramatic 4-3 loss.