GALLERY: Hockey round-up
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech men’s II and Long Sutton men’s II both secured promotion at the weekend.
WISBECH HOCKEY CLUB
THE all-conquering men’s II secured promotion with a breath-taking attacking display against Cambridge City.
Matt Goodwin started the rout with a superbly taken opener before Hugo Atkins and Lee Peck extended the lead.
Goodwin and Atkins added another two more before half-time to give Wisbech a 5-0 lead at the break.
The men’s II eased up in the second half but Jason Esser popped up with a minute to go to make it 6-0.
Sam Markillie scored the only goal of a hard-fought encounter against Waltham Forest to keep Wisbech men’s promotion push on track.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
Markillie slid in at the far post to put the finishing touch to a well-worked penalty corner routine.
Their next game is a top of the table clash against Cambridge University.
The men’s III fought back after going three goals behind against Rutland but lost 3-2.
James Williams and Richard Claxton found the net to give Wisbech hope of an unlikely comeback but they ran out of time.
Goals from Georgie Dunn and Steph Hanlon helped the ladies avenge last season’s defeat to Lowestoft with an impressive 2-1 away win.
Dunn put the visitors in front before Lowestoft equalised but Hanlon struck late from a goal-line scramble to secure the crucial win.
Their next match is a derby game against Long Sutton.
Four goals from Nicole Rowell and a Harriet Bateman strike helped the ladies III to a commanding 5-0 win over Newmarket ladies III.
LONG SUTTON HOCKEY CLUB
The men’s II have been promoted from Division 4 North West after beating St Neots II 3-0.
Nick Bailey opened the scoring before Ben Shore struck twice to seal the win.
The men’s first team ground out a hard-fought 2-1 win away at Crostyx.
Connor Allen and Gary Hales gave Long Sutton an early two goal lead before Crostyx pulled a goal back.
Scott Ingram found the net but the men’s III were held 1-1 by Spalding IV.
Goals from John Sullivan and Andy Clarke were not enough to stop the men’s IV suffering a heavy 5-2 defeat at the hands of Leadenham.
Kate Ireland put Long Sutton ladies ahead with a neat finish but Dereham grabbed a late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw.
The ladies II were beaten 3-1 by Boston in a competitive encounter.
MARCH TOWN HOCKEY CLUB
March men had a day to forget as they were thumped 4-0 at home by Ely.
The men’s III came out on the wrong side of a seven goal thriller against Spalding II, suffering a dramatic 4-3 loss.