GALLERY: Johnson strikes late to spare Wisbech Town’s blushes in 3-3 thriller
FULL back Scott Johnson struck a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser as Wisbech Town stuttered to a 3-3 draw against Kirkley & Pakefield today.
Johnson’s last-gasp goal gave the Fenmen a share of the spoils at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium - but for boss Steve Appleby it still felt like two points dropped rather than one point gained.
Wisbech had dominated large parts of the clash and it was midfielder Steven Reid who put them ahead in the fifth minute.
The Fenmen missed several chances to extend their lead before Kirkley converted their first attempt on goal four minutes before the break.
A Chris Bacon penalty restored Wisbech’s advantage in the second half but the visitors found a quickfire equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
Eighth-placed Kirkley then went in front and they seemed to be heading for all three points until Johnson pounced to spare Wisbech’s blushes.
Appleby said: “We are too inconsistent at the moment. They should have been buried before half time.”
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 6 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
Wisbech, who have slipped to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Thetford Town in their rearranged Red Insure Cup clash on Tuesday.
The Fenmen travel to high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the league next Saturday.