GALLERY: Johnson strikes late to spare Wisbech Town’s blushes in 3-3 thriller
FULL back Scott Johnson struck a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser as Wisbech Town stuttered to a 3-3 draw against Kirkley & Pakefield today.
Johnson’s last-gasp goal gave the Fenmen a share of the spoils at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium - but for boss Steve Appleby it still felt like two points dropped rather than one point gained.
Wisbech had dominated large parts of the clash and it was midfielder Steven Reid who put them ahead in the fifth minute.
The Fenmen missed several chances to extend their lead before Kirkley converted their first attempt on goal four minutes before the break.
A Chris Bacon penalty restored Wisbech’s advantage in the second half but the visitors found a quickfire equaliser.
Eighth-placed Kirkley then went in front and they seemed to be heading for all three points until Johnson pounced to spare Wisbech’s blushes.
Appleby said: “We are too inconsistent at the moment. They should have been buried before half time.”
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
Wisbech, who have slipped to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Thetford Town in their rearranged Red Insure Cup clash on Tuesday.
The Fenmen travel to high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the league next Saturday.