GALLERY: Johnson strikes late to spare Wisbech Town’s blushes in 3-3 thriller
FULL back Scott Johnson struck a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser as Wisbech Town stuttered to a 3-3 draw against Kirkley & Pakefield today.
Johnson’s last-gasp goal gave the Fenmen a share of the spoils at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium - but for boss Steve Appleby it still felt like two points dropped rather than one point gained.
Wisbech had dominated large parts of the clash and it was midfielder Steven Reid who put them ahead in the fifth minute.
The Fenmen missed several chances to extend their lead before Kirkley converted their first attempt on goal four minutes before the break.
A Chris Bacon penalty restored Wisbech’s advantage in the second half but the visitors found a quickfire equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
Eighth-placed Kirkley then went in front and they seemed to be heading for all three points until Johnson pounced to spare Wisbech’s blushes.
Appleby said: “We are too inconsistent at the moment. They should have been buried before half time.”
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 3 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 4 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 7 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 10 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
Wisbech, who have slipped to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Thetford Town in their rearranged Red Insure Cup clash on Tuesday.
The Fenmen travel to high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the league next Saturday.