GALLERY: Johnson strikes late to spare Wisbech Town’s blushes in 3-3 thriller
FULL back Scott Johnson struck a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser as Wisbech Town stuttered to a 3-3 draw against Kirkley & Pakefield today.
Johnson’s last-gasp goal gave the Fenmen a share of the spoils at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium - but for boss Steve Appleby it still felt like two points dropped rather than one point gained.
Wisbech had dominated large parts of the clash and it was midfielder Steven Reid who put them ahead in the fifth minute.
The Fenmen missed several chances to extend their lead before Kirkley converted their first attempt on goal four minutes before the break.
A Chris Bacon penalty restored Wisbech’s advantage in the second half but the visitors found a quickfire equaliser.
Eighth-placed Kirkley then went in front and they seemed to be heading for all three points until Johnson pounced to spare Wisbech’s blushes.
Appleby said: “We are too inconsistent at the moment. They should have been buried before half time.”
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 6 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 7 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 8 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
Wisbech, who have slipped to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Thetford Town in their rearranged Red Insure Cup clash on Tuesday.
The Fenmen travel to high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the league next Saturday.