GALLERY: Johnson strikes late to spare Wisbech Town’s blushes in 3-3 thriller
FULL back Scott Johnson struck a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser as Wisbech Town stuttered to a 3-3 draw against Kirkley & Pakefield today.
Johnson’s last-gasp goal gave the Fenmen a share of the spoils at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium - but for boss Steve Appleby it still felt like two points dropped rather than one point gained.
Wisbech had dominated large parts of the clash and it was midfielder Steven Reid who put them ahead in the fifth minute.
The Fenmen missed several chances to extend their lead before Kirkley converted their first attempt on goal four minutes before the break.
A Chris Bacon penalty restored Wisbech’s advantage in the second half but the visitors found a quickfire equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
Eighth-placed Kirkley then went in front and they seemed to be heading for all three points until Johnson pounced to spare Wisbech’s blushes.
Appleby said: “We are too inconsistent at the moment. They should have been buried before half time.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 8 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
Wisbech, who have slipped to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Thetford Town in their rearranged Red Insure Cup clash on Tuesday.
The Fenmen travel to high-flying Walsham-le-Willows in the league next Saturday.