GALLERY: Legends on show as Wisbech Town and Acorns celebrate partnership
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town legends Roy McManus and Jackie Gallagher were present as the club held an open day at Elgood’s Fenland Stadium to celebrate its partnership with youth club Wisbech Town Acorns.
Youngsters met club mascot Fenny the Fenman and did training drills on the pitch before and at half time in Wisbech’s game against Holbeach United.
Wisbech Town Acorns has more than 100 young players on its books ranging from under-7s to under-18s.
Vice chairman Kelley Lewis said: “From a voluntary grassroots club perspective it was important to us that we could propose something that was very beneficial to both clubs without losing our own identity and independence, especially to not jeopardise our ongoing ethos of providing football and social development of all children regardless of ability.
“Wisbech Town Acorns is not and will never be an academy however that doesn’t stop us from continuing to raise the standards of our club and its volunteers.”
You may also want to watch:
Under the agreement, Wisbech Town coaches assist with Acorns training sessions, attend their matches and invite promising players to join regular club training sessions.
Acorns players receive free entry to Wisbech games and players from the younger teams get to be mascots for the first team on match days.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
As well as creating a new website, Lewis has launched a Smartphone application bringing all information from Wisbech and the Acorns into one place to help fans stay up to date on news, social media, videos, tables, results, fixtures and more.
Wisbech Town chairman Barry Carter said: “We are really pleased to be associated with Wisbech Town Acorns. They are a club who are really committed to youth football and development.
“They are well run and organised and I believe we can all benefit from working closer together. We as a club are excited about the future and working together.”