GALLERY: Legends on show as Wisbech Town and Acorns celebrate partnership
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town legends Roy McManus and Jackie Gallagher were present as the club held an open day at Elgood’s Fenland Stadium to celebrate its partnership with youth club Wisbech Town Acorns.
Youngsters met club mascot Fenny the Fenman and did training drills on the pitch before and at half time in Wisbech’s game against Holbeach United.
Wisbech Town Acorns has more than 100 young players on its books ranging from under-7s to under-18s.
Vice chairman Kelley Lewis said: “From a voluntary grassroots club perspective it was important to us that we could propose something that was very beneficial to both clubs without losing our own identity and independence, especially to not jeopardise our ongoing ethos of providing football and social development of all children regardless of ability.
“Wisbech Town Acorns is not and will never be an academy however that doesn’t stop us from continuing to raise the standards of our club and its volunteers.”
You may also want to watch:
Under the agreement, Wisbech Town coaches assist with Acorns training sessions, attend their matches and invite promising players to join regular club training sessions.
Acorns players receive free entry to Wisbech games and players from the younger teams get to be mascots for the first team on match days.
- 1 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 2 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
As well as creating a new website, Lewis has launched a Smartphone application bringing all information from Wisbech and the Acorns into one place to help fans stay up to date on news, social media, videos, tables, results, fixtures and more.
Wisbech Town chairman Barry Carter said: “We are really pleased to be associated with Wisbech Town Acorns. They are a club who are really committed to youth football and development.
“They are well run and organised and I believe we can all benefit from working closer together. We as a club are excited about the future and working together.”