GALLERY: Luckless losing run drags on as Wisbech are beaten by last-gasp try
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Rugby Club were left cursing another luckless Saturday as a controversial last-gasp try condemned them to their seventh successive league loss.
Cliff Humphrey’s relegation battlers have not won since November, with high-flying Wanstead the latest side to claim victory at Harecroft Road.
They pipped a dogged Wisbech 12-10, with a try from a tap-penalty in the dying seconds stealing what would have been a memorable victory for the hosts.
Wisbech, who are second-bottom in London North-East Division Three, looked the brighter side in the first half as they stood up to the title challengers.
Winger Joe Barfoot crashed over to give them a 5-0 lead at the break but, after hooker Peter Lankfer and captain Dave Wadsley were sin-binned in the second period, Wanstead hit back with a converted try.
You may also want to watch:
Barfoot restored Wisbech’s lead with his second try of the afternoon and the hosts were on the verge of clinging on when Wanstead struck.
The referee awarded a penalty for an infringement at a five-metre scrum and, although the tap-penalty did not appear to be taken from the mark, the Wanstead player was allowed to burrow over for the decisive try.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 4 Council buys up 1,000 sandbags ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 8 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
Humphreys said: “It is just not going our way at the moment but our luck is bound to change shortly.”
Wisbech host Old Brentwoods on Saturday.