GALLERY: March and District Bowls League hosts its finals day
BOWLS took centre stage in Christchurch on Saturday as the March and District league held its finals day.
Manea’s Shirley Buffham became 2011 March and District Bowls League Ladies Singles champion after defeating Upwell Park’s Betty Edwards 21-18.
Kevin Beavis of March Town triumphed 21-14 in the Men’s Singles Final even though Derek Rutter had home advantage.
Beavis’ team-mates Peter Butcher and Dave Stimpson overcame March Conservative Club’s Derek Stacey and Fred Adams 24-16 to clinch the Men’s Pairs crown.
There was more success for March Town as Janet Anderson and Anne Halsey defeated Sylvia Watson and Betty Edwards of Upwell Park 23-21 after an extra end to secure another pairs’ trophy for the club.
Lynda Chamberlain and Roly Frost (Christchurch) beat March Town’s Halsey and Peter Butcher 23-10 to become Mixed Pairs Winners.
Elsewhere, Ian Gover led his Murrow trio to a 21-17 victory over Doug Turner’s three from CMB. Alan ‘Nobby’ Newbold skipped a March Town four to a 19-10 triumph over Derek Walker’s Christchurch quartet.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 5 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 6 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 7 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 8 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
However, the home side enjoyed some success in the afternoon after the thumped Murrow 92-54 to win the Knockout Cup.
The day concluded with a buffet and trophy presentations by league president Barry Stevens. League winners March Town and runners-up CMB also received their trophies on the day too.