GALLERY: March and District Bowls League hosts its finals day
BOWLS took centre stage in Christchurch on Saturday as the March and District league held its finals day.
Manea’s Shirley Buffham became 2011 March and District Bowls League Ladies Singles champion after defeating Upwell Park’s Betty Edwards 21-18.
Kevin Beavis of March Town triumphed 21-14 in the Men’s Singles Final even though Derek Rutter had home advantage.
Beavis’ team-mates Peter Butcher and Dave Stimpson overcame March Conservative Club’s Derek Stacey and Fred Adams 24-16 to clinch the Men’s Pairs crown.
There was more success for March Town as Janet Anderson and Anne Halsey defeated Sylvia Watson and Betty Edwards of Upwell Park 23-21 after an extra end to secure another pairs’ trophy for the club.
You may also want to watch:
Lynda Chamberlain and Roly Frost (Christchurch) beat March Town’s Halsey and Peter Butcher 23-10 to become Mixed Pairs Winners.
Elsewhere, Ian Gover led his Murrow trio to a 21-17 victory over Doug Turner’s three from CMB. Alan ‘Nobby’ Newbold skipped a March Town four to a 19-10 triumph over Derek Walker’s Christchurch quartet.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
However, the home side enjoyed some success in the afternoon after the thumped Murrow 92-54 to win the Knockout Cup.
The day concluded with a buffet and trophy presentations by league president Barry Stevens. League winners March Town and runners-up CMB also received their trophies on the day too.