GALLERY: March Bears Legends lift trophy as club host first veterans’ tournament
MARCH Bears Rugby Club hosted their first veterans’ competition on Saturday - and it was the club’s own Legends side that lifted the trophy.
The Bears welcomed veteran teams from Bourne and Peterborough to Elm Road Sports Field for the round-robin tournament.
A try from Lee Kupyn proved the difference in the opening game as the Legends edged out Bourne 5-0. But that score was reversed against Peterborough, who secured victory against the Bears with an unconverted try.
Bourne found their feet in the third game to claim a 7-0 win over a tiring Peterborough side and book their place in the final.
Points difference meant they faced a showdown with the Bears for the trophy - and it was the hosts who took control.
You may also want to watch:
Full back Chris Howley’s kick was chased down by Mark Thorney who crashed over to open the scoring. Lee Kupyn then scored his second try of the day, converted by Jake Read, to extend the Bears’ lead to 12-0 at half time.
Bourne rallied after the break but stubborn defending from the Bears maintained their clean sheet.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 9 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 10 Motor cyclist killed in March crash
The hosts’ victory was sealed by Paul Galloway, whose try was converted by Read to take the final score to 19-0.
March Bears President Barry Feetham thanked sponsors Georges pub, Malletts jewellers and the Petrou Brothers, who provided the trophies.
The Bears were also presented with new kit, sponsored by Moorhouse and Mohan Ltd. Feetham said: “Many thanks to Peterborough and Bourne Vets for making it a successful day. We hope to host this again as an annual end of season competition.”
Feetham also thanked players from Thorney, who deputised for March, organiser Robert Whyman and the volunteers.