GALLERY: March’s young boxing stars compete in front of a packed house at the Braza Club
- Credit: Archant
MORE than 300 people packed the Braza Club on Friday night to cheer on March ABC Boxing Club’s young competitors as they tested themselves against boxers from all over the country.
In the evening’s first contest, Robert Tanner, 10, stepped into the ring for the first time for a skills bout with Ewan Ferguson, of Corby ABC.
Booby Smith, 11, was next on the card and claimed a hard-fought win by majority points decision over Joe Webb, of Ernie’s Gym, in an exciting bout.
As his arm was raised in victory, his delight was obvious. He leapt so high his head almost touched the ceiling.
Morgan Wynn, 14, carried on a strong start to the show for March’s boxers, outclassing Trumpington’s Charlie Johnson to claim a win by unanimous decision.
But Regan Lazenby, 13, was edged out by Irdi Cupi, of Corby ABC, in a very competitive bout.
There was disappointment in the Mid Anglia Championship Junior ABA Schoolboy 69kg Final for March boxer Isaac White, 15, who lost by majority points decision to Tafadzwa Nanyawari, of Trumpington, in a scrappy bout.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
Both competitors lacked fluency and Nanyawari seemed more intent on smothering White than boxing.
In the bout of the night, March’s Danny Hedges went toe-to-toe with Shaun Bruce, of Earl Shilton ABC, but came out on the wrong side of a majority points decision.
In the final contest of the evening, Michael Adams regained some pride for March, securing a comfortable unanimous points decision win over Waterfront’s Hinesh Patel.
Hedges was chosen as March boxer of the night, a decision which reflected the quality of his contest with Bruce.
Dave Cole, March ABC trainer, said: “Overall I think it was a really good night. I’m pleased with most of the boxers, although a couple of them did not perform at their best.
“There is always a good atmosphere at this show and it’s gone midnight but people are still sitting down and discussing the night’s action.”