GALLERY: March’s young fighters take on all-comers at the Braza Club show
MORE than 300 people gathered at The Braza Club to support March’s young boxing prospects as they tested themselves against competitors from all round the country on Friday night.
The six March Amateur Boxing Club fighters achieved mixed results, with three wins and three defeats.
11-year-old Bobby Smith, in his first ever fight, put on a spirited display but was beaten by his larger opponent.
His sister, Patsy, 12, claimed a hard-fought majority points decision victory over Darlington’s Catherine Pringle in a highly competitive bout.
Reagan Lazenby, 13, secured an unanimous points victory over Chatteris fighter Dean Baxter but Harry Rody was beaten by Brandon Spring from Cambridge ABC.
15-year-old prospect Jack Gleaves overcame a massive height and reach disadvantage to secure an impressive unanimous points win over Castle’s James Redman.
But Percy Baxter, 15, was stopped in the first round by Remel Ramsarren, who he had beaten earlier this year.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
Dave Cole, March Boxing Club trainer, felt it was a great occasion.
He said: “There was a great atmosphere tonight and it was a really good, well supported show.
“In the ring, it could have been a bit better for one or two of the boys performance-wise.”
He singled out Patsy Smith, who is one of only three girls in the country who compete in the 55kg Schoolgirl division, for particular praise.
Mr Cole said: “For me, the star of the show was Patsy Smith, our girl boxer.
“Hers was a really good bout. I would be proud if any of my boys boxed as well as those girls did.”
The boys will next be in action at the end of January, while talks are ongoing for Patsy to fight a girl from Harrow.