GALLERY: March Town hockey ladies win the title
- Credit: Archant
Lauren Lakey was the hero as March Town Ladies saw off their nearest rivals St Ives III 1-0 to win East Women’s Division 4NW (S) with a game to spare.
Bekki White fed Rachel Mottram who set up Lakey to score the match and title winning goal.
It has been an amazing season for the ladies - they have won 14 out of their 15 games, scoring 82 goals while only conceding nine.
If they don’t lose against Cambridge City IV Saturday, they will finish the season undefeated.
Captain Lorna Larham said: “It was a tough game against our nearest challengers - we were determined to win the league and they were determined to stop us.
You may also want to watch:
“This made the win feel like more of an achievement than it would winning it against a weaker side.
“We are still undefeated with one game left so we want to stay undefeated but Cambridge City are battling with St Ives for promotion so we know it will be another tough game.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 5 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 Villagers stay strong to earn perfect post-lockdown record
- 10 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
“Hopefully the men will win their league as well and we can have a big club celebration.”
It was also a great weekend for March Town’s men, who sealed promotion from East Men’s Division 3NW with a 3-1 win over Ely City II.
Jimmy Fountain broke the deadlock, Ben Wright doubled the lead and Jody Betts got his customary goal from a trademark reverse stick flick before Ely grabbed a consolation effort.
March are in with a great shot of winning the league - they lead second place City of Peterborough IV by four points with three games remaining.