GALLERY, MATCH REPORT & VIDEO: Wisbech Town end brave March Town United’s dream of an FA Cup upset
FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay: Wisbech Town 3 March Town United 2
WISBECH Town finally ended brave March Town United’s dream of an FA Cup upset in a thrilling preliminary round replay last night.
Goals from Simon Ashton, Chris Bacon and Liam Nimmo helped Steve Appleby’s side dump Brett Whaley’s heroic March out of the competition at the second attempt.
Nimmo and March’s Luke Pepper had scored in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at the GER – in front of a phenomenal crowd of 1,100 – and 830 flocked to the replay as FA Cup fever continued to grip the area.
In front of a record attendance at Wisbech’s Elgood’s Fenland Stadium Appleby’s troops gave a considerably better performance than they had on Saturday forcing a barrage of early pressure.
You may also want to watch:
And even though March looked dangerous on the counter through pacy winger Ricki Goodale, Wisbech took a deserved lead in the 26th minute.
Stacy Cartwright’s corner, the first decent delivery of the game, was headed home by Simon Ashton to put the Fenmen deservedly in front.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 9 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
March’s loan keeper Tom Roberts made a fine point-blank save from Nimmo before Wisbech quickly doubled their advantage from the penalty spot.
Bacon cooly slotted home from twelve yards just five minutes before the break after Lewis Cook was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball whilst grounded.
The introduction of speedy pint-sized winger Ash Brand spurred March into life after the interval with Pepper scoring from the spot after Neal Spafford had hauled Stu Anderson to the ground.
And March – sensing blood – laid siege to Wisbech’s goal in search of an equaliser with Chris Lenton, Brand and Anderson all going close.
However, just as it seemed March might draw level Wisbech scored a fantastic breakaway goal in the 77th minute to put one foot in the next round.
Anthony Reeve stormed down the right and found the impressive Bacon. His cross was touched on by Nick Davey and Nimmo slotted home from close range.
There were still chances for Wisbech to extend their advantage with Ollie Gale and Matt Lunn going close before March added a late consolation four minutes into injury time.
Cook was fouled by Lewis Thompson and substitute Andy Wayte scored to make it 3-2.
Wisbech - who earned �1,500 for the win, host Wroxham in the first qualifying round on September 17.
• For more reaction see Friday’s paper.
• Video courtesy of Wisbech Town website and programme editor Spencer Larham.