GALLERY: MCC comes to sunny Wisbech for historic annual two day game
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech welcomed the MCC to Harecroft Road for an annual two day season curtain raiser today.
The historic fixture dates back to 1926 and is particularly significant because it is the only two day out match the MCC plays in the whole year.
The pre-match festivities included a speech from Wisbech Mayor Councillor Sam Hoy.
Chairman Bob Burgess said: “We have done some research and found out the MCC were the first team to play at Harecroft Road in 1926. We are quite honoured by that.”
Wisbech secured a stunning Tucker Gardner League and Jaidka Cup double last season but Burgess says it would be unrealistic to expect them to achieve quite that level of success this campaign.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “If we match what we did last season it would be astonishing. We are not going to count our chickens.
“There are a lot of very strong teams in the league this year so it will be about the football cliche of taking one game at a time.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 5 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
“Hopefully the weather will remain the same as today as that means the clubhouse will be very busy.”