GALLERY: MCC comes to sunny Wisbech for historic annual two day game
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech welcomed the MCC to Harecroft Road for an annual two day season curtain raiser today.
The historic fixture dates back to 1926 and is particularly significant because it is the only two day out match the MCC plays in the whole year.
The pre-match festivities included a speech from Wisbech Mayor Councillor Sam Hoy.
Chairman Bob Burgess said: “We have done some research and found out the MCC were the first team to play at Harecroft Road in 1926. We are quite honoured by that.”
Wisbech secured a stunning Tucker Gardner League and Jaidka Cup double last season but Burgess says it would be unrealistic to expect them to achieve quite that level of success this campaign.
He said: “If we match what we did last season it would be astonishing. We are not going to count our chickens.
“There are a lot of very strong teams in the league this year so it will be about the football cliche of taking one game at a time.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
“Hopefully the weather will remain the same as today as that means the clubhouse will be very busy.”