GALLERY: MCC comes to sunny Wisbech for historic annual two day game
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech welcomed the MCC to Harecroft Road for an annual two day season curtain raiser today.
The historic fixture dates back to 1926 and is particularly significant because it is the only two day out match the MCC plays in the whole year.
The pre-match festivities included a speech from Wisbech Mayor Councillor Sam Hoy.
Chairman Bob Burgess said: “We have done some research and found out the MCC were the first team to play at Harecroft Road in 1926. We are quite honoured by that.”
Wisbech secured a stunning Tucker Gardner League and Jaidka Cup double last season but Burgess says it would be unrealistic to expect them to achieve quite that level of success this campaign.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “If we match what we did last season it would be astonishing. We are not going to count our chickens.
“There are a lot of very strong teams in the league this year so it will be about the football cliche of taking one game at a time.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
“Hopefully the weather will remain the same as today as that means the clubhouse will be very busy.”