GALLERY: Oarsome day of action as Fenland hosts university rowing championships
HUNDREDS of boats took to the River Nene at the weekend as student rowers from across the country converged on Fenland.
More than 1,500 competitors from 50 universities gathered at North Bank, Whittlesey, for the BUCS PwC Rowing 4s and 8s Head 2012.
The time trial event, which received a record number of entries, began on Saturday with hundreds of rowing newcomers taking to the water.
The championship crews were in action on Sunday as leading stars from Newcastle, Durham and Bristol battled it out.
James Lee, from British Rowing, said: “It’s a good stretch of water and this is the third time we have been there. The Nene is ideal for that sort of racing.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s such a big event and it does tend to take over the area for a weekend.
“All the hotels get booked because students are coming from as far away as Dundee and Edinburgh.”
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash