GALLERY: Oarsome day of action as Fenland hosts university rowing championships
HUNDREDS of boats took to the River Nene at the weekend as student rowers from across the country converged on Fenland.
More than 1,500 competitors from 50 universities gathered at North Bank, Whittlesey, for the BUCS PwC Rowing 4s and 8s Head 2012.
The time trial event, which received a record number of entries, began on Saturday with hundreds of rowing newcomers taking to the water.
The championship crews were in action on Sunday as leading stars from Newcastle, Durham and Bristol battled it out.
James Lee, from British Rowing, said: “It’s a good stretch of water and this is the third time we have been there. The Nene is ideal for that sort of racing.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s such a big event and it does tend to take over the area for a weekend.
“All the hotels get booked because students are coming from as far away as Dundee and Edinburgh.”
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre