GALLERY: Outwell Swifts Youth Football Club hold two-day tournament
DESPITE gloomy weather predictions more than 800 people attended Outwell Swifts Youth Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
Around 50 teams from under-7 to under-12 age groups competed across the weekend with a couple of hail storms on Saturday doing little to cool the enthusiasm on display.
Estover Park Under-10s won their first tournament to delight manager Teilo Pearce and blitzed Hungate Green’s 9-1 to reach the final.
However, Park needed nerves of steel to beat Hungate Yellows after losing a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 and face an agonising penalty shoot-out to decide their fate.
Ten-year-old Harvey Darville scored the winning penalty to cap off a fine birthday as his side won 5-3 on penalties to pick up their winners medals.
Pearce said: “I’m very proud as we lost two players beforehand and the boys were up against it. I’m delighted our boys won.”
Outwell’s Under-11s suffered final heartbreak against Hampton Reds and Wisbech St Mary Under-12s also got to their final but lost against Peterborough-based side Wasps.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 3 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
Richard Melton, Outwell Swifts Youth FC secretary, said: “Having been missing from the annual tournament calender last year we were keen to make a memorable return.
“We wanted to hold an inclusive and friendly family-focused event, needless to say feedback has been good and we are already busy making preparations for an even bigger event in 2012.”
Melton thanked the “invaluable support” of parent volunteers, club sponsors and St John’s Ambulance and said if any players wanted to join the club (under-7 to under-13) they should contact him on 01945 771974.
• Do we know about your sports tournament this summer? If you want us to cover your event contact Gavin on firstname.lastname@example.org