GALLERY: Outwell Swifts Youth Football Club hold two-day tournament
DESPITE gloomy weather predictions more than 800 people attended Outwell Swifts Youth Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
Around 50 teams from under-7 to under-12 age groups competed across the weekend with a couple of hail storms on Saturday doing little to cool the enthusiasm on display.
Estover Park Under-10s won their first tournament to delight manager Teilo Pearce and blitzed Hungate Green’s 9-1 to reach the final.
However, Park needed nerves of steel to beat Hungate Yellows after losing a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 and face an agonising penalty shoot-out to decide their fate.
Ten-year-old Harvey Darville scored the winning penalty to cap off a fine birthday as his side won 5-3 on penalties to pick up their winners medals.
You may also want to watch:
Pearce said: “I’m very proud as we lost two players beforehand and the boys were up against it. I’m delighted our boys won.”
Outwell’s Under-11s suffered final heartbreak against Hampton Reds and Wisbech St Mary Under-12s also got to their final but lost against Peterborough-based side Wasps.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 8 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
Richard Melton, Outwell Swifts Youth FC secretary, said: “Having been missing from the annual tournament calender last year we were keen to make a memorable return.
“We wanted to hold an inclusive and friendly family-focused event, needless to say feedback has been good and we are already busy making preparations for an even bigger event in 2012.”
Melton thanked the “invaluable support” of parent volunteers, club sponsors and St John’s Ambulance and said if any players wanted to join the club (under-7 to under-13) they should contact him on 01945 771974.
• Do we know about your sports tournament this summer? If you want us to cover your event contact Gavin on email@example.com