GALLERY: Outwell Swifts Youth Football Club hold two-day tournament
DESPITE gloomy weather predictions more than 800 people attended Outwell Swifts Youth Football Club’s two-day tournament at the weekend.
Around 50 teams from under-7 to under-12 age groups competed across the weekend with a couple of hail storms on Saturday doing little to cool the enthusiasm on display.
Estover Park Under-10s won their first tournament to delight manager Teilo Pearce and blitzed Hungate Green’s 9-1 to reach the final.
However, Park needed nerves of steel to beat Hungate Yellows after losing a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 and face an agonising penalty shoot-out to decide their fate.
Ten-year-old Harvey Darville scored the winning penalty to cap off a fine birthday as his side won 5-3 on penalties to pick up their winners medals.
You may also want to watch:
Pearce said: “I’m very proud as we lost two players beforehand and the boys were up against it. I’m delighted our boys won.”
Outwell’s Under-11s suffered final heartbreak against Hampton Reds and Wisbech St Mary Under-12s also got to their final but lost against Peterborough-based side Wasps.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
Richard Melton, Outwell Swifts Youth FC secretary, said: “Having been missing from the annual tournament calender last year we were keen to make a memorable return.
“We wanted to hold an inclusive and friendly family-focused event, needless to say feedback has been good and we are already busy making preparations for an even bigger event in 2012.”
Melton thanked the “invaluable support” of parent volunteers, club sponsors and St John’s Ambulance and said if any players wanted to join the club (under-7 to under-13) they should contact him on 01945 771974.
• Do we know about your sports tournament this summer? If you want us to cover your event contact Gavin on firstname.lastname@example.org