GALLERY: Pointless weekend for Wisbech Rugby Club as both teams suffer heavy defeats
SECOND team captain Oliver Mackett admitted he was baffled by the league structure after his Wisbech side were trounced 74-0 by Diss II.
Diss’ third team had previously represented the club in Woodfordes Norfolk Division One but they moved into the equivalent Suffolk league after a reshuffle.
They were replaced by Diss II - who proved far too strong for Wisbech II in Saturday’s clash.
Mackett said: “From the kick-off it was clear to see the gulf in ability between the two teams.
“We gave everything in the tackle and did not give up throughout the entire game but it was clear that we could not break the Diss line.
“Each player gave their all but a complete mismatch does not help either team. Hopefully this will change next year and there will be a more competitive league.”
• WISBECH’S depleted first team also failed to register a point on Saturday as they were beaten 23-0 by bitter rivals Cantabrigian.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 7 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
Sol Prestidge, Robbie Brooks, Brian Alabaster and Michael Watts were all drafted in with seven players missing from last week’s side.
Wisbech did start brightly but Cantabs’ forwards soon took control and they eased to victory.
Manager Cliff Humphreys said: “There is not much I can say. When seven regular players from the previous week declare themselves unavailable you can only select from the lads who are available.
“The commitment of the 15 players on Saturday was magnificent and they deserved to get something out of the game.”
Wisbech host Beccles in London North-East Division Three tomorrow (Kick-off 2:15pm).