GALLERY: Pointless weekend for Wisbech Rugby Club as both teams suffer heavy defeats
SECOND team captain Oliver Mackett admitted he was baffled by the league structure after his Wisbech side were trounced 74-0 by Diss II.
Diss’ third team had previously represented the club in Woodfordes Norfolk Division One but they moved into the equivalent Suffolk league after a reshuffle.
They were replaced by Diss II - who proved far too strong for Wisbech II in Saturday’s clash.
Mackett said: “From the kick-off it was clear to see the gulf in ability between the two teams.
“We gave everything in the tackle and did not give up throughout the entire game but it was clear that we could not break the Diss line.
You may also want to watch:
“Each player gave their all but a complete mismatch does not help either team. Hopefully this will change next year and there will be a more competitive league.”
• WISBECH’S depleted first team also failed to register a point on Saturday as they were beaten 23-0 by bitter rivals Cantabrigian.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
Sol Prestidge, Robbie Brooks, Brian Alabaster and Michael Watts were all drafted in with seven players missing from last week’s side.
Wisbech did start brightly but Cantabs’ forwards soon took control and they eased to victory.
Manager Cliff Humphreys said: “There is not much I can say. When seven regular players from the previous week declare themselves unavailable you can only select from the lads who are available.
“The commitment of the 15 players on Saturday was magnificent and they deserved to get something out of the game.”
Wisbech host Beccles in London North-East Division Three tomorrow (Kick-off 2:15pm).