GALLERY: ‘School Games’ tag rugby tournament gives Chatteris youngsters Olympic spirit
YOUNGSTERS dodged, ducked and dived their way into the Olympic spirit during a tag rugby competition at Cromwell Community College, in Chatteris.
About 70 schoolchildren took part in the event, which was held as part of the county’s School Games initiative.
More than 2,000 pupils from across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough will compete in the Games, with five days of inter-school competition scheduled for later this year.
Benwick Primary School and Cromwell Community College are among the schools taking part in sports including hockey, mini-tennis, athletics and cricket.
A spokesman for Cromwell said: “It is great that the whole school is involved on some level – both staff and pupils - and we have looked upon the introduction of the School Games as an excellent opportunity to launch Olympic-inspired events for the school.
“Embracing the School Games does not just mean sport either, we encourage our pupils to take part in a number of cultural activities that will provide a direct benefit across the curriculum.”
For more information on the School Games visit: www.yourschoolgames.com
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 9 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 10 Could you give these pets a home?