GALLERY: ‘School Games’ tag rugby tournament gives Chatteris youngsters Olympic spirit
YOUNGSTERS dodged, ducked and dived their way into the Olympic spirit during a tag rugby competition at Cromwell Community College, in Chatteris.
About 70 schoolchildren took part in the event, which was held as part of the county’s School Games initiative.
More than 2,000 pupils from across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough will compete in the Games, with five days of inter-school competition scheduled for later this year.
Benwick Primary School and Cromwell Community College are among the schools taking part in sports including hockey, mini-tennis, athletics and cricket.
A spokesman for Cromwell said: “It is great that the whole school is involved on some level – both staff and pupils - and we have looked upon the introduction of the School Games as an excellent opportunity to launch Olympic-inspired events for the school.
You may also want to watch:
“Embracing the School Games does not just mean sport either, we encourage our pupils to take part in a number of cultural activities that will provide a direct benefit across the curriculum.”
For more information on the School Games visit: www.yourschoolgames.com
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 7 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years