GALLERY: Seymour strikes again as March secure unlikely win
- Credit: Archant
ANOTHER outstanding performance from Steve Seymour helped March Town Cricket Club secure an unlikely 13 run win over St Ives Town at The Avenue on Saturday.
March’s batsmen again struggled on a wet pitch and were dismissed for 90 but Seymour took 6-21 as St Ives crumbled to 77 all out.
The dramatic win pushed March into second place in the Tucker Gardner League, five points behind leaders Wisbech.
March was grateful to young opening batsmen David Hodson, who carried on a promising start to the season with a composed 44.
He received good support from Carl Chapman, who batted for 70 minutes to make a crucial 20.
You may also want to watch:
Wicketkeeper John Gilson said: “Hodson is not the best technically but he has great hand to eye coordination and his runs were the difference between us winning and losing.”
Seymour then got to work on St Ives’ batting line up, backed up by Andrew Wright’s 2-28 and 1-22 from Tyler Phillips.
- 1 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 2 Long-serving work couple leaving Fens for Nigeria to build care home
- 3 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 4 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 5 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 6 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 7 Primary school joins laureate's £100m-a-year bid to boost libraries
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- 10 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
Gilson, who gets to watch Seymour cause havoc from behind the stumps, rates the Aussie as the league’s best bowler.
He said: “Other bowlers in the league have got a similar amount of wickets to Steve but he has got his in far fewer overs and he often does not take the new ball.
“His statistics are incredible and I don’t think there is any doubt he is the best bowler in the league.
“We would not swap him with any other overseas player.”
March travel to Sawston on Saturday, who Gilson says has caused them problems over the last few years,
He said: “We have not done well there in the past few years and have got beaten so we are determined to go there and put that right.”