GALLERY: Under-strength Ely put to the sword by March
- Credit: Archant
Hockey March Town I 14 Ely City I 4
A depleted Ely City side were put to the sword by March Town, on Saturday.
Confusion surrounding whether the match would go ahead meant Ely were missing players, including a goalkeeper, when the contest finally got under way but they gamely agreed to play on, despite the disadvantage.
It didn’t take long for March get on the score sheet as James Fountain fired in to open the scoring. Ben Wright made it 2-0 soon after. Ashley Welland, who was returning to the club for the second time, made it 3-0 with a deflection. Jody Betts made it 4-0 with a trademark finish. March then conceded a penalty corner and Ely punished them to reduce the scoreline to 4-1. James Fountain got his second and March’s fifth with a good finish. Betts then added two more goals and completed his hat-trick to make it 7-1. March gave away another penalty corner due to some sloppy defending and Ely took their chance and made it 7-2. Welland got his second of the game just before half time.
March scored six more goals in a punishing second half for Ely, with Betts scoring four to add to goals from Adam Graham and Welland.
You may also want to watch:
Despite their defensive woes, Ely battled hard and added another two goals of their own. Man of the match was Betts.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit