GALLERY & VIDEO: Wisbech Town beat Ely City 1-0 before swooping for released Linnets midfielder White
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town’s quest for promotion received a double boost this weekend as they claimed a 1-0 win over Ely City before swooping to sign midfielder Danny White.
The 29-year-old sealed a switch to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium yesterday after he was released by King’s Lynn Town to “balance the books”.
White, who has had spells with Diss Town, Needham Market and Wroxham, became a popular figure at the Linnets for his work-rate in centre midfield.
His 169 appearances for Wroxham included a trip to Wembley for the FA Vase final and he played a key part in their campaign to win the Ridgeons Premier Division title.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby said: “Danny has been in this situation before and he’s won things.
“He’s a quality player with loads of energy who’s got bags of experience playing at this level and higher.
“His arrival will give everyone a lift and with the recent departures, he’ll fit in nicely as we head into the business end of the season.”
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
White’s arrival sealed a fine weekend for Appleby’s troops, who claimed their second win in as many weeks over Ely on Saturday.
Chris Bacon’s chipped first-half finish was enough to give the Fenmen their first home victory in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division since November 10.
Wisbech sit sixth in the league, seven points behind leaders Brantham Athletic with two games in hand.
They travel to Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-final of the Red Insure Cup on Wednesday.
White is expected to go straight into the squad, while Callum Reed (calf) and Neal Spafford (knee) are sidelined with injuries.