GALLERY & VIDEO: Wisbech Town beat Ely City 1-0 before swooping for released Linnets midfielder White
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town’s quest for promotion received a double boost this weekend as they claimed a 1-0 win over Ely City before swooping to sign midfielder Danny White.
The 29-year-old sealed a switch to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium yesterday after he was released by King’s Lynn Town to “balance the books”.
White, who has had spells with Diss Town, Needham Market and Wroxham, became a popular figure at the Linnets for his work-rate in centre midfield.
His 169 appearances for Wroxham included a trip to Wembley for the FA Vase final and he played a key part in their campaign to win the Ridgeons Premier Division title.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby said: “Danny has been in this situation before and he’s won things.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s a quality player with loads of energy who’s got bags of experience playing at this level and higher.
“His arrival will give everyone a lift and with the recent departures, he’ll fit in nicely as we head into the business end of the season.”
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 9 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 10 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
White’s arrival sealed a fine weekend for Appleby’s troops, who claimed their second win in as many weeks over Ely on Saturday.
Chris Bacon’s chipped first-half finish was enough to give the Fenmen their first home victory in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division since November 10.
Wisbech sit sixth in the league, seven points behind leaders Brantham Athletic with two games in hand.
They travel to Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-final of the Red Insure Cup on Wednesday.
White is expected to go straight into the squad, while Callum Reed (calf) and Neal Spafford (knee) are sidelined with injuries.