GALLERY & VIDEO: Wisbech Town beat Ely City 1-0 before swooping for released Linnets midfielder White
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town’s quest for promotion received a double boost this weekend as they claimed a 1-0 win over Ely City before swooping to sign midfielder Danny White.
The 29-year-old sealed a switch to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium yesterday after he was released by King’s Lynn Town to “balance the books”.
White, who has had spells with Diss Town, Needham Market and Wroxham, became a popular figure at the Linnets for his work-rate in centre midfield.
His 169 appearances for Wroxham included a trip to Wembley for the FA Vase final and he played a key part in their campaign to win the Ridgeons Premier Division title.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby said: “Danny has been in this situation before and he’s won things.
“He’s a quality player with loads of energy who’s got bags of experience playing at this level and higher.
“His arrival will give everyone a lift and with the recent departures, he’ll fit in nicely as we head into the business end of the season.”
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
White’s arrival sealed a fine weekend for Appleby’s troops, who claimed their second win in as many weeks over Ely on Saturday.
Chris Bacon’s chipped first-half finish was enough to give the Fenmen their first home victory in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division since November 10.
Wisbech sit sixth in the league, seven points behind leaders Brantham Athletic with two games in hand.
They travel to Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-final of the Red Insure Cup on Wednesday.
White is expected to go straight into the squad, while Callum Reed (calf) and Neal Spafford (knee) are sidelined with injuries.