GALLERY & VIDEO: Wisbech Town beat Ely City 1-0 before swooping for released Linnets midfielder White
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town’s quest for promotion received a double boost this weekend as they claimed a 1-0 win over Ely City before swooping to sign midfielder Danny White.
The 29-year-old sealed a switch to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium yesterday after he was released by King’s Lynn Town to “balance the books”.
White, who has had spells with Diss Town, Needham Market and Wroxham, became a popular figure at the Linnets for his work-rate in centre midfield.
His 169 appearances for Wroxham included a trip to Wembley for the FA Vase final and he played a key part in their campaign to win the Ridgeons Premier Division title.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby said: “Danny has been in this situation before and he’s won things.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s a quality player with loads of energy who’s got bags of experience playing at this level and higher.
“His arrival will give everyone a lift and with the recent departures, he’ll fit in nicely as we head into the business end of the season.”
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
White’s arrival sealed a fine weekend for Appleby’s troops, who claimed their second win in as many weeks over Ely on Saturday.
Chris Bacon’s chipped first-half finish was enough to give the Fenmen their first home victory in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division since November 10.
Wisbech sit sixth in the league, seven points behind leaders Brantham Athletic with two games in hand.
They travel to Kirkley & Pakefield in the quarter-final of the Red Insure Cup on Wednesday.
White is expected to go straight into the squad, while Callum Reed (calf) and Neal Spafford (knee) are sidelined with injuries.