GALLERY & VIDEO: Wisbech Town go top with 3-1 win over 10-man Stanway Rovers
WISBECH Town powered to the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division by coming from behind to beat 10-man Stanway Rovers 3-1.
The Fenmen sit top of the pile on goal difference after promotion rivals Dereham, who still have a game in hand, dropped their first points of the campaign with a 1-1 draw at struggling Diss Town.
Steve Appleby’s side started brightly at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Saturday but it was Stanway who took the lead in the 20th minute.
The referee spotted what he deemed to be a handball in the box and awarded the visitors a penalty, which Kevin Coyle slotted past loanee keeper Niall Conroy - who impressed on his Fenmen debut.
The hosts levelled 10 minutes later as the prolific Dubi Ogbonna grabbed his eighth league goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech continued to dominate after the break and their task was made slightly easier in the 53rd minute when a Stanway player was sent off for a rash tackle.
But, despite a host of good chances and two strong appeals for penalties, it was not until the 81st minute that the Fenmen managed to beat inspired Stanway keeper Paul Rutherford.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 9 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
Ollie Gale’s drive from the edge of the box found the bottom corner to spark animated celebrations on the pitch and a lot of relief on the sidelines.
Midfielder Adam Millson made the game safe five minutes later as he headed home Chris Bacon’s cross.
The Fenmen host Wivenhoe Town on Saturday.