GALLERY: Whittlesey club’s boxing open day proves a big hit
- Credit: Archant
About 100 people tried their hand at boxing and met a legend during a club’s open day yesterday.
People of all ages and abilities had a go at sparring at Whittlesey Amateur Boxing Club, which is based at the Aaron Road Industrial Estate.
There was also a parents vs children competition and a medicine ball challenge.
European champion Dave ‘Boy’ Green MBE, of Chatteris, was on hand to give coaching and take pictures with the children.
Chairman Jon King was thrilled with how the day unfolded.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The day went really well. There were 100 people there of all ages and abilities, including a lot of mothers with their young children.
“Dave ‘Boy’ Green is such a gentleman. He has no airs and graces.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Chief honours those who went 'over and beyond' to protect public
“He did some skipping and picked up the pads so children could try their hand at sparring. They then got to have their pictures taken with him.”
Anyone can go along to the club, from the age of eight.
There are circuit style training nights, club nights and a ladies boxercise class for those who want to get fit without the fighting element.
The club has 36 youth members and 24 adults but there is room for more people to get involved. They meet on Mondays and Fridays from 6.30-9.30pm.
Sessions on Tuesdays from 7-9pm and Thursdays from 6.30-8.30pm are circuit style training nights while Sunday is ladies only boxercise from 10-11am. Sessions are £3 for members (joining fee £20) or £4 for non-members.
For information call Jon King on 07966 194388.