GALLERY: Whittlesey club’s boxing open day proves a big hit
- Credit: Archant
About 100 people tried their hand at boxing and met a legend during a club’s open day yesterday.
People of all ages and abilities had a go at sparring at Whittlesey Amateur Boxing Club, which is based at the Aaron Road Industrial Estate.
There was also a parents vs children competition and a medicine ball challenge.
European champion Dave ‘Boy’ Green MBE, of Chatteris, was on hand to give coaching and take pictures with the children.
Chairman Jon King was thrilled with how the day unfolded.
He said: “The day went really well. There were 100 people there of all ages and abilities, including a lot of mothers with their young children.
“Dave ‘Boy’ Green is such a gentleman. He has no airs and graces.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
“He did some skipping and picked up the pads so children could try their hand at sparring. They then got to have their pictures taken with him.”
Anyone can go along to the club, from the age of eight.
There are circuit style training nights, club nights and a ladies boxercise class for those who want to get fit without the fighting element.
The club has 36 youth members and 24 adults but there is room for more people to get involved. They meet on Mondays and Fridays from 6.30-9.30pm.
Sessions on Tuesdays from 7-9pm and Thursdays from 6.30-8.30pm are circuit style training nights while Sunday is ladies only boxercise from 10-11am. Sessions are £3 for members (joining fee £20) or £4 for non-members.
For information call Jon King on 07966 194388.