GALLERY: Whittlesey United bounce back from shock loss with Oakham win but Doddington United lose top of the table clash
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey United boss Andy Lodge believes second place is up for grabs in the Peterborough and District League.
His side, who sit third, bounced back from a shock 1-0 loss to Leverington Sports with a 3-1 win against Oakham United, with Liam Harrold (2) and Shane Cooke on target.
Lodge believes his side can claw back the seven point gap to second place Netherton United.
He said: “I was confident we would bounce back after the disappointment of losing to Leverington. That day we had all the ball but missed lots of chances.
“It looks like King’s Lynn Town Reserves will win the league but I think second through to fifth is up for grabs. Netherton have a tough run in and play us along the way.
You may also want to watch:
“Considering how we did last season (14th), this has been a pleasing first season in charge. I may even get offered the Manchester United manager’s job.”
Ben Jones’ goal helped Coates Athletic draw 1-1 with Uppingham Town but they were then thrashed 7-1 by Netherton United. Rik Green got the goal.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
Whittlesey Blue Star bounced back from losing 6-0 to Riverside with a 1-1 draw against Stilton United, with Sean Briglin on target, while Leverington Sports lost 3-0 to Uppingham Town.
In the Cambs Premier League, Simon Bates scored in Wisbech St Mary’s 1-1 draw with Linton Granta, while Jack Brand (2) and Daniel Emmington scored in a 3-1 win at Lakenheath.
In Cambs Senior A, Asa Revell scored but Chatteris Town lost 3-1 at Royston Town A.
In Cambs Senior B, Matthew Ridgeway got a hat trick, Connor Morton bagged a brace and Teilo Pearce scored in Wimblington’s 6-3 win over Needingworth United. Wimblington also beat West Wratting Reserves 3-2.
Outwell Swifts drew 0-0 with Witchford 96 before Jonathan Secker’s double saw them beat Sawston Rovers 2-1.
In NMC 1B, Doddington United’s title hopes were dealt a blow as they lost 2-0 to leaders Burwell Swifts, while Richard Allen scored but Chatteris Town Reserves lost 3-1 at Huntingdon United.
Manea United lost 2-1 at Bar Hill Saturday. March Town United Reserves lost 3-1 to Bar Hill Saturday and 2-1 to Buckden. Sean Saxby scored in both games.