GALLERY: Whittlesey United bounce back from shock loss with Oakham win but Doddington United lose top of the table clash
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey United boss Andy Lodge believes second place is up for grabs in the Peterborough and District League.
His side, who sit third, bounced back from a shock 1-0 loss to Leverington Sports with a 3-1 win against Oakham United, with Liam Harrold (2) and Shane Cooke on target.
Lodge believes his side can claw back the seven point gap to second place Netherton United.
He said: “I was confident we would bounce back after the disappointment of losing to Leverington. That day we had all the ball but missed lots of chances.
“It looks like King’s Lynn Town Reserves will win the league but I think second through to fifth is up for grabs. Netherton have a tough run in and play us along the way.
“Considering how we did last season (14th), this has been a pleasing first season in charge. I may even get offered the Manchester United manager’s job.”
Ben Jones’ goal helped Coates Athletic draw 1-1 with Uppingham Town but they were then thrashed 7-1 by Netherton United. Rik Green got the goal.
- 1 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 2 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 3 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 4 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 5 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 6 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 7 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 10 Gill ready to 'give fans a show' amid European title frustration
Whittlesey Blue Star bounced back from losing 6-0 to Riverside with a 1-1 draw against Stilton United, with Sean Briglin on target, while Leverington Sports lost 3-0 to Uppingham Town.
In the Cambs Premier League, Simon Bates scored in Wisbech St Mary’s 1-1 draw with Linton Granta, while Jack Brand (2) and Daniel Emmington scored in a 3-1 win at Lakenheath.
In Cambs Senior A, Asa Revell scored but Chatteris Town lost 3-1 at Royston Town A.
In Cambs Senior B, Matthew Ridgeway got a hat trick, Connor Morton bagged a brace and Teilo Pearce scored in Wimblington’s 6-3 win over Needingworth United. Wimblington also beat West Wratting Reserves 3-2.
Outwell Swifts drew 0-0 with Witchford 96 before Jonathan Secker’s double saw them beat Sawston Rovers 2-1.
In NMC 1B, Doddington United’s title hopes were dealt a blow as they lost 2-0 to leaders Burwell Swifts, while Richard Allen scored but Chatteris Town Reserves lost 3-1 at Huntingdon United.
Manea United lost 2-1 at Bar Hill Saturday. March Town United Reserves lost 3-1 to Bar Hill Saturday and 2-1 to Buckden. Sean Saxby scored in both games.