GALLERY: Winning run halted as Wisbech Town draw 1-1 with Northampton Sileby Rangers
A LATE equaliser halted Wisbech Town’s pre-season winning run as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Northampton Sileby Rangers on Saturday.
The Fenmen, who have been in supreme form, were denied a seventh consecutive win by a physical Rangers side.
Steve Appleby’s troops were dealt a blow after half an hour when a late tackle saw in-form striker Dubi Ogbonna limp off injured.
The visitors put up determined resistance at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium and with 10 minutes to go it looked as though the free-scoring Fenmen’s final pre-season clash might end in stalemate.
But last season’s top-scorer Chris Bacon intervened in the 84th minute, rising at the back post to head home a free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech looked set to complete a full house of pre-season victories, but minutes later a defensive mix-up saw them concede their third goal of the warm-up campaign.
The Fenmen begin their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title challenge on Saturday when they host Walsham-le-Willows. Ogbonna is hoping to shrug off his injury in time for the league opener.
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 4 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 5 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 7 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 8 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 9 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 10 Disgruntled dog owners fall foul of Wetherspoon's dog ban