GALLERY: Winning run halted as Wisbech Town draw 1-1 with Northampton Sileby Rangers
A LATE equaliser halted Wisbech Town’s pre-season winning run as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Northampton Sileby Rangers on Saturday.
The Fenmen, who have been in supreme form, were denied a seventh consecutive win by a physical Rangers side.
Steve Appleby’s troops were dealt a blow after half an hour when a late tackle saw in-form striker Dubi Ogbonna limp off injured.
The visitors put up determined resistance at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium and with 10 minutes to go it looked as though the free-scoring Fenmen’s final pre-season clash might end in stalemate.
But last season’s top-scorer Chris Bacon intervened in the 84th minute, rising at the back post to head home a free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech looked set to complete a full house of pre-season victories, but minutes later a defensive mix-up saw them concede their third goal of the warm-up campaign.
The Fenmen begin their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title challenge on Saturday when they host Walsham-le-Willows. Ogbonna is hoping to shrug off his injury in time for the league opener.
- 1 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Survey finds staggering 97 cent support for new Aldi store
- 9 Students highlight road safety in new films
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens