GALLERY: Winning run halted as Wisbech Town draw 1-1 with Northampton Sileby Rangers
A LATE equaliser halted Wisbech Town’s pre-season winning run as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Northampton Sileby Rangers on Saturday.
The Fenmen, who have been in supreme form, were denied a seventh consecutive win by a physical Rangers side.
Steve Appleby’s troops were dealt a blow after half an hour when a late tackle saw in-form striker Dubi Ogbonna limp off injured.
The visitors put up determined resistance at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium and with 10 minutes to go it looked as though the free-scoring Fenmen’s final pre-season clash might end in stalemate.
But last season’s top-scorer Chris Bacon intervened in the 84th minute, rising at the back post to head home a free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech looked set to complete a full house of pre-season victories, but minutes later a defensive mix-up saw them concede their third goal of the warm-up campaign.
The Fenmen begin their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title challenge on Saturday when they host Walsham-le-Willows. Ogbonna is hoping to shrug off his injury in time for the league opener.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely