GALLERY: Wisbech racer Russell picks up two stunning wins at Silverstone to lead BRDC F4 Championship
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech racer George Russell leads the BRDC F4 Championship after winning two out of three races at Silverstone at the weekend.
The 16-year-old finished 5th in Saturday but was in unstoppable form on Sunday, showing tremendous flair in tricky weather conditions to storm through from fourth and sixth on the grid in the two races with his Lanan Racing machine.
Russell has a 13-point championship lead over his closest rival, Mexican Diego Menchaca, with Saturday’s race winner Raoul Hyman two points further back in third.
Russell said: “It doesn’t get much better than this with two wins. We struggled a little bit on Saturday but we improved and it was a great day for the team getting a 1-3 in race two and a 1-2 in race three.
“It’s great to be the early championship leader but there’s a long way to go in the season.
You may also want to watch:
“With 21 more races to go I’m not thinking too far ahead and taking it all step by step and keep doing the best job we can each weekend.”
The next three rounds of the BRDC Formula 4 Championship are on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit on May 17-18.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 6 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 7 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 8 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
Russell is unfamiliar with the circuit but he is confident he will once again be challenging for race wins.
He said: “It will be difficult because, unlike my rivals, I’ve not raced there before. I will go on YouTube and do research to get familiar with the track.
“But I am determined to go there, stick it on pole and win races.”
Before Brands Hatch, Russell heads to the demanding streets of Pau in South-West France where he will contest the second round of the Formula Renault 2.0 ALPS series with Koiranen GP.