GALLERY: Wisbech Town 2 - 1 Cleethorpes Town - Fenmen through to second round of FA Vase

Adam Millson attempts to beat his opposite man.(PHOTO: Barry Giddings)

Adam Millson attempts to beat his opposite man.(PHOTO: Barry Giddings) - Credit: Archant

Josh Ford’s double saw Wisbech Town come from behind to beat Cleethorpes Town 2-1 in an enthralling FA Vase second round clash.

Wisbech keeper Lea Jordan was called into action early on, doing well to parry Jonathan Oglesby’s rising shot over the bar.

Billy Smith had the Fenmen’s first chance, cutting inside and firing straight at Cleethorpes keeper Brad Beattie from the edge of the box.

Ford then raced on to Scott Johnson’s gorgeous through ball but lost his duel with Beattie.

Then, the same man sprung the offside trap, latching on to Adam Millson’s pass, but dragged his shot across the face of goal.

Wisbech had a let off of their own when Brody Robertson blazed over from 12 yards.

Cleethorpes then enjoyed a period of sustained pressure and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 32 minutes.

Most Read

Jack Richardson cut in from the left and curled an exquisite 20 yard shot past Jordan’s despairing dive into the bottom corner.

The visitors looked comfortable in the lead but, four minutes before half time, an inspired piece of play from Nathan Horne changed the game.

The right back, at full speed, tapped the ball past Lawrence Heward and produced a pinpoint cross for Ford to caress home.

Spurred on by Dick Creasey’s half time teamtalk, Wisbech made the perfect start to the second half.

Just two minutes after the restart, they took the lead. Adam Millson’s corner somehow found its way all the way through to Ford who gleefully nodded home.

Ford had the chance to complete his hat-trick but, after latching on to Smith’s cross, he was denied by Beattie’s legs.

Wisbech were indebted to Jordan, who produced a couple of outstanding saves to deny Oglesby, but they regained their composure and kept the ball well for the last few minutes to seal their third round spot.

Wisbech manager Dick Creasey said: “I didn’t think we started well and we had a bit of a sort out at half time.

“I said to the lads big games need big players to perform.

“Jon Fairweather pulled his groin after 10 minutes but soldiered on for another 45 minutes.

“Steven Reid and Adam Millson in central midfield were quality and Scott Johnson, 38 years old, what a performance.

“I’m delighted for the club and the town and we’ll see who we get on Monday.”