GALLERY: Wisbech Town fail to make pressure pay in defeat to title rivals Dereham
A SECOND-HALF onslaught failed to save Wisbech Town as they fell to a disappointing 1-0 loss against title rivals Dereham Town today.
The Fenmen entered the clash on the back of huge victories over St Ives Town and Mildenhall Town - but they couldn’t make it three in a row.
Sam Borrer’s fifth-minute goal proved the difference at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium but the Fenmen faithful were left baffled that their side got nothing to show for their efforts.
Steve Appleby’s troops threw everything at Dereham, whose threat was sporadic after the goal.
But, not for the first time this season, Wisbech failed to take their chances and they suffered their first loss since November 3.
You may also want to watch:
The result means the second-placed Fenmen missed the chance to join Mildenhall at the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Dereham, who sit fifth, have three games in hand and look likely to be a major rival in Wisbech’s title challenge.
- 1 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile