GALLERY: Wisbech Town power past Yaxley to set up FA Cup showdown with Kettering Town
WISBECH Town set up an FA Cup showdown with former Conference side Kettering Town by waltzing to a 3-0 win over Yaxley.
The Fenmen will host the Poppies on September 8 after Saturday’s FA Cup Preliminary Round victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Brett Whaley’s Yaxley, who included several former March Town United players, fell behind in the 19th minute as Chris Bacon beat full back Marc Welcher at the edge of the box and slotted home.
Wisbech continued to press after the break as the impressive Matt Lunn, playing up front in the absence of injured striker Dubi Ogbonna, rattled the woodwork twice in two minutes.
Lunn finally got his goal in the 57th minute as he converted Bacon’s looping through ball - and the Fenmen stretched their lead again eight minutes later courtesy of a controversial penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Bacon was brought down by former Hares ‘keeper Aaron Butcher but Yaxley felt the shot-stopper had won the ball. With Bacon forced off with an injury to his shoulder, Adam Millson stepped up to make the game safe from the spot.
Wisbech suffered another injury blow soon after as midfielder Steven Reid was stretchered off with a gash to his leg. He was replaced by teenager Lewis Clayton, who was denied a debut goal by a good save from Butcher.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 3 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 Hauliers on how they are tackling the HGV driver shortage crisis
- 6 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 7 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 8 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 9 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
The Fenmen contest another important fixture on Saturday when they travel to Brantham Athletic in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.