GALLERY: Woods targets 35 as 10 man March Town United see off AFC Sudbury Reserves
- Credit: Archant
Prolific March Town United marksman Dan Woods has set his sights on scoring 35 goals this season.
The in-form striker netted his 24th and 25th of the campaign on Saturday as the Hares, despite playing more than a half with 10 men, beat AFC Sudbury Reserves 2-1.
Gerard Evans was dismissed late in the first period but March struck twice in the last 15 minutes. Woods capitalised on a mis-hit goal kick to smack home the opener and added a second from the penalty spot.
The visitors pulled a goal back in the last five minutes but the Hares held on for a crucial win.
Woods said: “We started really poorly - they pressed us well and we couldn’t create anything.
You may also want to watch:
“The sending off opened the game up a bit. They came on to us so we had more space to work with.
“We regrouped at half-time and Chris Bartlett told us we needed to go more direct. We did this and started creating chances. The goals were from a couple of goalkeeping mistakes.”
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
Woods is enjoying a friendly rivalry with club stalwart Luke Pepper, who bagged 28 goals in his highest scoring campaign.
He said: “Luke Pepper and I have a bit of a thing. I’m only three off his goalscoring record. My aim for the season is 35. With the games we’ve got left, I should make it.”
March travel to Team Bury, who they beat 3-1 earlier this season, in the league on Saturday.