GALLERY: Woods targets 35 as 10 man March Town United see off AFC Sudbury Reserves
- Credit: Archant
Prolific March Town United marksman Dan Woods has set his sights on scoring 35 goals this season.
The in-form striker netted his 24th and 25th of the campaign on Saturday as the Hares, despite playing more than a half with 10 men, beat AFC Sudbury Reserves 2-1.
Gerard Evans was dismissed late in the first period but March struck twice in the last 15 minutes. Woods capitalised on a mis-hit goal kick to smack home the opener and added a second from the penalty spot.
The visitors pulled a goal back in the last five minutes but the Hares held on for a crucial win.
Woods said: “We started really poorly - they pressed us well and we couldn’t create anything.
You may also want to watch:
“The sending off opened the game up a bit. They came on to us so we had more space to work with.
“We regrouped at half-time and Chris Bartlett told us we needed to go more direct. We did this and started creating chances. The goals were from a couple of goalkeeping mistakes.”
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 9 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Woods is enjoying a friendly rivalry with club stalwart Luke Pepper, who bagged 28 goals in his highest scoring campaign.
He said: “Luke Pepper and I have a bit of a thing. I’m only three off his goalscoring record. My aim for the season is 35. With the games we’ve got left, I should make it.”
March travel to Team Bury, who they beat 3-1 earlier this season, in the league on Saturday.