GALLERY: Woods targets 35 as 10 man March Town United see off AFC Sudbury Reserves
- Credit: Archant
Prolific March Town United marksman Dan Woods has set his sights on scoring 35 goals this season.
The in-form striker netted his 24th and 25th of the campaign on Saturday as the Hares, despite playing more than a half with 10 men, beat AFC Sudbury Reserves 2-1.
Gerard Evans was dismissed late in the first period but March struck twice in the last 15 minutes. Woods capitalised on a mis-hit goal kick to smack home the opener and added a second from the penalty spot.
The visitors pulled a goal back in the last five minutes but the Hares held on for a crucial win.
Woods said: “We started really poorly - they pressed us well and we couldn’t create anything.
You may also want to watch:
“The sending off opened the game up a bit. They came on to us so we had more space to work with.
“We regrouped at half-time and Chris Bartlett told us we needed to go more direct. We did this and started creating chances. The goals were from a couple of goalkeeping mistakes.”
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
Woods is enjoying a friendly rivalry with club stalwart Luke Pepper, who bagged 28 goals in his highest scoring campaign.
He said: “Luke Pepper and I have a bit of a thing. I’m only three off his goalscoring record. My aim for the season is 35. With the games we’ve got left, I should make it.”
March travel to Team Bury, who they beat 3-1 earlier this season, in the league on Saturday.