GALLERY: Woods targets 35 as 10 man March Town United see off AFC Sudbury Reserves
- Credit: Archant
Prolific March Town United marksman Dan Woods has set his sights on scoring 35 goals this season.
The in-form striker netted his 24th and 25th of the campaign on Saturday as the Hares, despite playing more than a half with 10 men, beat AFC Sudbury Reserves 2-1.
Gerard Evans was dismissed late in the first period but March struck twice in the last 15 minutes. Woods capitalised on a mis-hit goal kick to smack home the opener and added a second from the penalty spot.
The visitors pulled a goal back in the last five minutes but the Hares held on for a crucial win.
Woods said: “We started really poorly - they pressed us well and we couldn’t create anything.
“The sending off opened the game up a bit. They came on to us so we had more space to work with.
“We regrouped at half-time and Chris Bartlett told us we needed to go more direct. We did this and started creating chances. The goals were from a couple of goalkeeping mistakes.”
- 1 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 2 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 3 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 4 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 5 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 6 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 7 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 10 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
Woods is enjoying a friendly rivalry with club stalwart Luke Pepper, who bagged 28 goals in his highest scoring campaign.
He said: “Luke Pepper and I have a bit of a thing. I’m only three off his goalscoring record. My aim for the season is 35. With the games we’ve got left, I should make it.”
March travel to Team Bury, who they beat 3-1 earlier this season, in the league on Saturday.