GALLERY: Youngsters enjoy March Town Cricket Club’s 3 Day Sports Festival
- Credit: Archant
Almost 100 youngsters tried out a range of sports at a cricket club’s sports festival.
March Town Cricket Club’s 3 Day Sports Festival has become an annual tradition - this was the 10th year they have staged the event.
Sports coaches offered children the opportunity to experience cricket, mini hockey, boxing, athletics and softball.
There was also a bouncy castle and a presentation evening, attended by Mayor of March Councillor Kit Owen, where children were given goody bags which included a Fenmarc baseball cap, medal, certificate, pen, tennis ball and sweets.
The club was awarded £500 by the Fenland Youth District Council last month to help pay for cricket coaching at the event. Toby Nulty, one of the coaches, said: “I started at one of these events when I was 10, so it is nice to be able to give something back and share my skills and give them the opportunities I had.
You may also want to watch:
“If it wasn’t for me attending as a 10-year-old I wouldn’t be playing cricket every week.
“It’s a great day for the youngsters as they learn key skills such as teamwork, listening and communication. It is rewarding to see them having a go at some things they’ve not tried before and great to see them out and about.”
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 5 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 6 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 7 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 8 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 9 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
Club chairman Les Mills said: “I would like to thank all the coaches and the numerous volunteers for all their hard work, organisation skills and enthusiasm which ensured the 3 Day Festival was very successful.
“They have helped numerous children have a great start to their summer holidays.
“Plus thanks to the sponsors Fenmarc, Fenland District Youth Council, Fruit Bowl and Fenland District Council Sports Development staff.”