GALLERY: Youngsters shine at Wisbech St Mary’s two-day football tournament
HUNDREDS of young footballers descended on Wisbech St Mary at the weekend for the football club’s annual two-day tournament.
More than 200 teams and a crowd of spectators filled the Hudson Playing Fields for competitions on Saturday and Sunday.
A host of six-a-side games took place on Saturday, from boys under-7s to under-12s. The under-11 girls were also in action.
Boys and girls were back on the pitch for Sunday’s five-a-side contests, which saw young stars from under-13s to under-17s compete.
Club secretary Claire Jimson said: “The weekend went really well. We had lots of teams attend and the weather held up for us.
You may also want to watch:
“We were only expecting teams from around Cambridgeshire but we had sides coming across from Northampton, Lowestoft and even Great Yarmouth!”
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’