GOALBALL: Fen Tigers clinch UK Intermediate Goalball Championship trophy
- Credit: Archant
It has been some season for the Fen Tigers goalball team.
The March-based side added a second piece of silverware to its cabinet at the weekend with a storming performance at the UK Intermediate Goalball Championships in Sheffield.
The Fen Tigers fought off the challenge of 15 other teams from across the country to win all of their matches, scoring an impressive 54 goals in the process.
They defeated last year’s winners, Winchester, 7-2 in the final to seal the victory and their second trophy of the season after clinching the Intermediate Region B title earlier this year – all in the club’s first season.
The Tigers’ success marks the beginning of an exciting time for the club, which is to enter teams at novice, intermediate and elite levels next season.
You may also want to watch:
And two players expected to turn out at the highest level are Team GB stars Dan Roper and Laura Perry, who created the club last year.
Goalball, devised in 1946, is a sport designed specifically for the visually impaired, with participants competing in teams of three, trying to throw a ball that has bells embedded in it into the opponents’ goal.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
- 4 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 5 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 9 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 10 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
Teams alternate throwing or rolling the ball from one end of the playing area to the other, and players remain in the area of their own goal in both defence and attack.
Players, who must wear eye patches, use the sound of the bell to judge the position and movement of the ball.
• The Fen Tigers train at the Neale Wade Sports Academy in March every other Saturday. To find out more, or to get in touch, search ‘Fen Tigers Goalball’ on Facebook or @fentigersgball on Twitter.