Golf round-up - George and Rowlett win Papworth Salvers
- Credit: Archant
It was yet another blustery summer’s evening for the 39th annual Papworth Salvers Mixed Foursomes Stableford competition.
March club captain Malcom George and his playing partner Jo Rowlett saw off stiff competition, winning by just one point.
George said: “The conditions were tricky out there, but the course was in great condition and the pace of the greens was much improved. Great fun!”
March seniors won in their match against Old Nene 4.5 – 1.5 Team: Bruce Frost & Alister Hopkins, Derek Wisbey & Doug Lamb, John Taylor & Peter Flint, Chris Bateman & Fred Gordon, Ernie Valentine & Fred Yeulett, Bill Hudson & Sid Riches.
March seniors lost in their match against Brampton 0 – 6. Team: Bruce Frost & Derek Wisbey, Clive Davis & Ken Leys, Jock Finlay & John Kerby, Chris Bateman & Mike Enderby, Alan Hall & Ray Pescud, Alister Hopkins & Bill Hudson.
Shona Kent won the ladies Long handicap 109-29-80. Second was Pearl Moss 134-36-98.
Winner of the men’s Stableford was Gary Morgan, second was Paul Turner.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 9 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 10 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
Winner of the Long Handicap Cup Div 1 was Gary Neugebauer, second was Colin With. Winner of Div 2 was Ken Hocken, second Hugh McGarvie.
1. Ladies Open Day: 1st. Gedney Hill Team of Ann Chick,Lynn Exley, Christine Lord, Maggie Bingham 102 pts; 2nd. Thetford Team of Dawn Dixon, Jess Dixon, Allison Jones, Sharon Caws 98 pts; 3rd. Tydd St Giles Team of Lyn Walker, Christine Burton, Mary Kierman, Liz Mitchell 92 pts. Nearest pin: Lyn Walker 97 inches; 2’s Ann Bell Richmond Park.
2. Seniors 2 V Ryston Park Seniors 4 [away]. S/Bridge Team: Richard Titchener and John Caney L 4 and 2; Roy Amos and Charlie Waling L 4 and 3; Keith Robinson and Norman Davis L 5 and 3; Roger Williamson and Don Robinson W 1 up; Harold Shingleton and Mervyn Williamson W 2 up; Sid Everitt and Roy Fox L 5 and 4.
TYDD ST GILES
Seniors stableford vouchers competition division 1 winner Baz Smith 42 points, 2nd Steve Skoulding 36 points, 3rd Dennis Savory 35 points, division 2 winner ocb Dennis Wilson 38 points, 2nd ocb Brian Gifford 38 points,3rd Gary Brown 38 points, division 3 winner Tony Illsey 39 points, 2nd Alec Harding 34 points, 3rd Brian Gough.
Mens June Stableford division 1 winner Ady Rowell 42 points, 2nd Andy Betts 40 points, 3rd George Pawson 38 points, division 2 winner Andrew Hicks 39 points, 2nd ocb John Kellegher 36 points, 3rd Stephen Jeffries 36 points, division 3 winner Brendon Docking 37 points, 2nd ocb Chris Simmonds 35 points, 3rd Trevor Smith 35 points.