GOLF: Trophies galore as dozens go head-to-head for March Town Golf Club’s President’s Putter, Barbecue Cup and Ladies competition prizes
- Credit: Archant
A member of March Golf Club clinched a career first last weekend.
Derek Rowlett, who has played in the club’s President’s Putter competition almost every year for the past 39 years, won the competition for the first time alongside Sandra Russell.
The duo chalked up 37 points ahead of runners-up, Rob Henshaw and Lydia Molyneux.
The competition followed the club’s annual Barbecue Cup competition, which welcomed 63 men and 10 ladies.
Michael Lee won the cup, seeing off the competition of Ralph Braams, who recorded 39 points and Callum Campbell (38 points.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies winner was Jean Alterton, who pipped Emma Norman on countback.
And finally, there were two very closely contested Ladies competitions this month.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
The Gold Crest Trophy, held on August 8, was won by Fiona Woods on 32 points. In second place was Pam Hawes, on countback, also with 32.
A nine-hole stableford on August 10 was an even tighter finish, with five ladies 16 points. The winner, on countback, was Victoria Collett followed by Gail Arnold in second place.