GOLF: Trophies galore as dozens go head-to-head for March Town Golf Club’s President’s Putter, Barbecue Cup and Ladies competition prizes
- Credit: Archant
A member of March Golf Club clinched a career first last weekend.
Derek Rowlett, who has played in the club’s President’s Putter competition almost every year for the past 39 years, won the competition for the first time alongside Sandra Russell.
The duo chalked up 37 points ahead of runners-up, Rob Henshaw and Lydia Molyneux.
The competition followed the club’s annual Barbecue Cup competition, which welcomed 63 men and 10 ladies.
Michael Lee won the cup, seeing off the competition of Ralph Braams, who recorded 39 points and Callum Campbell (38 points.
The ladies winner was Jean Alterton, who pipped Emma Norman on countback.
And finally, there were two very closely contested Ladies competitions this month.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
The Gold Crest Trophy, held on August 8, was won by Fiona Woods on 32 points. In second place was Pam Hawes, on countback, also with 32.
A nine-hole stableford on August 10 was an even tighter finish, with five ladies 16 points. The winner, on countback, was Victoria Collett followed by Gail Arnold in second place.