Gracjan is Sparta’s golden boy: boxing prodigy Ciureja crowned ABA champion
- Credit: Archant
Sparta Amateur Boxing Club star Gracjan Ciureja was crowned Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) Schools and Minors champion after storming to success in the final of the national competition.
The 13-year-old, supported by 20 members of the March-based club, travelled to the Grantham Sports and Leisure Centre on Saturday June 4 to go head-to-head with opponent Zachary Swalwell for the highly-coveted golden gloves and the title of national champion.
The two youngsters faced off for glory in the 38.5kg class B final, and there were fears that the occasion may have got to Ciureja in the early stages as the March fighter began nervously in front of a capacity crowd of over 500.
However, as the round went on, the youngster grew in stature and confidence, commanding the ring and attacking Swalwell with some well-timed shots in what proved to be an evenly contested round.
Ciureja focussed more on his set-piece moves in the second round, catching the Phil Thomas School of Boxing starlet with more accurate shots and evading his opponent’s swings.
You may also want to watch:
The March fighter sealed a sensational split decision victory with another assured round of boxing in the third and final round, landing some neat yet powerful punches which forced Swalwell back onto the ropes.
One of the travelling army who supported Ciureja was his coach, Matt Lenton, who couldn’t hide his pride for the young fighter.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 8 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 9 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 10 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
“I’m very proud of how well Gracjan has improved,” he said. “He has showed immense improvement to get to the final and win it.
“He has done well all season, and today is a very proud day for Sparta ABC.”