Grammar School wins county championship
WISBECH Grammar School prep beat King’s School Ely prep to win the Under 11 county championship.
Young cricketers at Magdalene House, the preparatory school of Wisbech Grammar School, capped a strong season by taking the Cambridgeshire schools title.
In a hard-fought final the Wisbech boys beat the King’s School by 37 runs to lift the trophy and progress through to the south east finals in Essex.
Captain Henry Thornton led the way with 22 runs, with Emerson Collingwood-Smith backing him up with 15 and skilful contributions from several others, as the home team rattled up 91 runs.
Bradley Hutler took two quick wickets, whilst there was one apiece for Henry Thornton, Kieron Nurse and Jonathan Garner, as King’s, Ely, was stranded on 54 at the close of play, giving Magdalene House a victory by 37 runs.
Headmaster Chris Moxon said: “After a slow start to the season when the boys lacked a bit of focus and concentration, they have really excelled recently and thoroughly deserve their success.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Under 11 Cricket Champions: Back row - Luke Morris, Jonathan Garner, Bradley Hutler, Jake Slender and Joseph Mayes.
Front row - Kieron Nurse, Will Means, Henry Thornton, Emerson Collingwood-Smith and Luke Marney.