Grammar School wins county championship
WISBECH Grammar School prep beat King’s School Ely prep to win the Under 11 county championship.
Young cricketers at Magdalene House, the preparatory school of Wisbech Grammar School, capped a strong season by taking the Cambridgeshire schools title.
In a hard-fought final the Wisbech boys beat the King’s School by 37 runs to lift the trophy and progress through to the south east finals in Essex.
Captain Henry Thornton led the way with 22 runs, with Emerson Collingwood-Smith backing him up with 15 and skilful contributions from several others, as the home team rattled up 91 runs.
Bradley Hutler took two quick wickets, whilst there was one apiece for Henry Thornton, Kieron Nurse and Jonathan Garner, as King’s, Ely, was stranded on 54 at the close of play, giving Magdalene House a victory by 37 runs.
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster Chris Moxon said: “After a slow start to the season when the boys lacked a bit of focus and concentration, they have really excelled recently and thoroughly deserve their success.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 5 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 6 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 7 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
Under 11 Cricket Champions: Back row - Luke Morris, Jonathan Garner, Bradley Hutler, Jake Slender and Joseph Mayes.
Front row - Kieron Nurse, Will Means, Henry Thornton, Emerson Collingwood-Smith and Luke Marney.