Grammar School wins county championship
WISBECH Grammar School prep beat King’s School Ely prep to win the Under 11 county championship.
Young cricketers at Magdalene House, the preparatory school of Wisbech Grammar School, capped a strong season by taking the Cambridgeshire schools title.
In a hard-fought final the Wisbech boys beat the King’s School by 37 runs to lift the trophy and progress through to the south east finals in Essex.
Captain Henry Thornton led the way with 22 runs, with Emerson Collingwood-Smith backing him up with 15 and skilful contributions from several others, as the home team rattled up 91 runs.
Bradley Hutler took two quick wickets, whilst there was one apiece for Henry Thornton, Kieron Nurse and Jonathan Garner, as King’s, Ely, was stranded on 54 at the close of play, giving Magdalene House a victory by 37 runs.
Headmaster Chris Moxon said: “After a slow start to the season when the boys lacked a bit of focus and concentration, they have really excelled recently and thoroughly deserve their success.
- 1 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 4 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 5 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 6 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 7 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 8 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 9 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 10 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
Under 11 Cricket Champions: Back row - Luke Morris, Jonathan Garner, Bradley Hutler, Jake Slender and Joseph Mayes.
Front row - Kieron Nurse, Will Means, Henry Thornton, Emerson Collingwood-Smith and Luke Marney.