Grammar School wins county championship
WISBECH Grammar School prep beat King’s School Ely prep to win the Under 11 county championship.
Young cricketers at Magdalene House, the preparatory school of Wisbech Grammar School, capped a strong season by taking the Cambridgeshire schools title.
In a hard-fought final the Wisbech boys beat the King’s School by 37 runs to lift the trophy and progress through to the south east finals in Essex.
Captain Henry Thornton led the way with 22 runs, with Emerson Collingwood-Smith backing him up with 15 and skilful contributions from several others, as the home team rattled up 91 runs.
Bradley Hutler took two quick wickets, whilst there was one apiece for Henry Thornton, Kieron Nurse and Jonathan Garner, as King’s, Ely, was stranded on 54 at the close of play, giving Magdalene House a victory by 37 runs.
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster Chris Moxon said: “After a slow start to the season when the boys lacked a bit of focus and concentration, they have really excelled recently and thoroughly deserve their success.
- 1 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 4 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 5 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 Election 2021: Tories win Whittlesey by-elections
- 8 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Wimblington murder probe: first photo of victim
Under 11 Cricket Champions: Back row - Luke Morris, Jonathan Garner, Bradley Hutler, Jake Slender and Joseph Mayes.
Front row - Kieron Nurse, Will Means, Henry Thornton, Emerson Collingwood-Smith and Luke Marney.