Grandstand finish as last-gasp Woollard try earns March Bears thrilling victory
- Credit: Archant
MARCH Bears produced a grandstand finish on Saturday as Todd Woollard’s last-gasp try gave them a 31-24 victory over Newmarket Development XV.
The Bears started brightly at Elm Road Sports Field as Ben Brooks and Ben Pyle outpaced the visitors’ defence to crash over.
Fly-half Brooks nailed his second conversion attempt to put March 12-0 ahead but Newmarket hit back with three tries in the space of 20 minutes to surge into a 17-12 lead.
March levelled the scores when Tom Ratcliff went over but Newmarket once again responded with a converted try to go 24-17 ahead.
From the resulting kick-off, Bears flanker Jonathan Beavis caught the ball and powered past two tackles to score an impressive individual try. Brooks stroked over the conversion and the two sides went into half-time tied at 24-24.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was less free-flowing but, with seconds remaining, Woollard powered over from close range for the winning try. Beavis kicked the conversion and March celebrated a memorable win,
The game was sponsored by Paul Wing from The Ship Inn, March.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
The Bears host Cambourne Exiles on Saturday.