Grandstand finish as last-gasp Woollard try earns March Bears thrilling victory
- Credit: Archant
MARCH Bears produced a grandstand finish on Saturday as Todd Woollard’s last-gasp try gave them a 31-24 victory over Newmarket Development XV.
The Bears started brightly at Elm Road Sports Field as Ben Brooks and Ben Pyle outpaced the visitors’ defence to crash over.
Fly-half Brooks nailed his second conversion attempt to put March 12-0 ahead but Newmarket hit back with three tries in the space of 20 minutes to surge into a 17-12 lead.
March levelled the scores when Tom Ratcliff went over but Newmarket once again responded with a converted try to go 24-17 ahead.
From the resulting kick-off, Bears flanker Jonathan Beavis caught the ball and powered past two tackles to score an impressive individual try. Brooks stroked over the conversion and the two sides went into half-time tied at 24-24.
The second half was less free-flowing but, with seconds remaining, Woollard powered over from close range for the winning try. Beavis kicked the conversion and March celebrated a memorable win,
The game was sponsored by Paul Wing from The Ship Inn, March.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
The Bears host Cambourne Exiles on Saturday.