Grandstand finish as last-gasp Woollard try earns March Bears thrilling victory
- Credit: Archant
MARCH Bears produced a grandstand finish on Saturday as Todd Woollard’s last-gasp try gave them a 31-24 victory over Newmarket Development XV.
The Bears started brightly at Elm Road Sports Field as Ben Brooks and Ben Pyle outpaced the visitors’ defence to crash over.
Fly-half Brooks nailed his second conversion attempt to put March 12-0 ahead but Newmarket hit back with three tries in the space of 20 minutes to surge into a 17-12 lead.
March levelled the scores when Tom Ratcliff went over but Newmarket once again responded with a converted try to go 24-17 ahead.
From the resulting kick-off, Bears flanker Jonathan Beavis caught the ball and powered past two tackles to score an impressive individual try. Brooks stroked over the conversion and the two sides went into half-time tied at 24-24.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was less free-flowing but, with seconds remaining, Woollard powered over from close range for the winning try. Beavis kicked the conversion and March celebrated a memorable win,
The game was sponsored by Paul Wing from The Ship Inn, March.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
The Bears host Cambourne Exiles on Saturday.