NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Three wins in a row for March Town - but boss Brett Whaley believes there is still more to come

March Town boss Brett Whaley. Picture: IAN CARTER

March Town boss Brett Whaley. Picture: IAN CARTER - Credit: Archant

Manager Brett Whaley still wants more from his March Town players – despite the club enjoying success on two fronts in recent days.

The Hares pulled off an impressive 3-1 success at Lakenheath in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division North last Saturday.

And that was followed up on Tuesday night when they made First Division KO Cup progress with a 2-0 triumph against Fakenham in a first round tie at the GER.

Those victories extended March’s winning streak to three matches in all competitions, but Whaley is convinced further improvement can still be unlocked.

“It’s been a great few days for us,” said Whaley. “We’ve picked three wins in a row now and have looked comfortable in each game.

“Being able to select a settled team has been a big factor in those results and our defensive shape has been excellent with only one goal conceded.

“But we’re still not quite managing to control games in the way we should and we’re falling into the trap of being a bit too direct at times.

Most Read

“We spoke about that at half-time against Fakenham and it was terrific to see the lads respond with a great spell in the second half where we played the way I want and dictated the game as a result.

“We’re in a busy and difficult run of games which is definitely going to stretch the squad, but you can wait for the next game when you’re winning and that’s something we want to carry on.”

The Hares suffered a nightmare start at Lakenheath when falling behind after only five minutes, but they were soon level as Gav Cooke struck from a Casey Logan corner.

The turnaround was completed on the stroke of half-time when Craig Gillies coolly converted from the penalty spot after Jamie Short was fouled.

And March sealed victory midway through the second half with another set-piece goal as skipper Max Mattless tucked away a Dylan Kilford corner.

Kilford was also the supplier of March’s opener goal against Fakenham as they hit the front two minutes before half-time on Tuesday.

His cross was converted by a Rob Conyard header and Cooke then struck for the second time in as many games when heading in a Logan free-kick in the second half.

Whaley handed a debut to new signing Curtis Knight as a second-half substitute. The former Wisbech Town and Wisbech St Mary man arrived the previous day.

Those victories came at the start of a hectic spell for the Hares who face seven fixtures in just 20 days.

It continues with a Saturday trip to AFC Sudbury Reserves in the First Division North, 3pm, ahead of a Cambs Invitation Cup tie against lower-level Linton Granta at the GER on Tuesday, 7.45pm.