March Town Ladies ease to victory in pre-season opener following lockdown
- Credit: Archant
March Town Ladies returned to action in style, despite missing several key players.
The Hares romped to a 7-1 win over Brampton Ladies in their first friendly of the season on Sunday, August 9, new signings Josie Turner and Chloe Stanborough netting twice.
It was March who took the lead thanks to Turner’s close-range effort as good work on the left-wing led to a second courtesy of Yazmin Holmes’ strike from 20 yards, before Stanborough tapped home an Eleanor McLeish cross to lead 3-1 at half-time.
McLeish added to the scoresheet after the break before another new signing, Kelsey Ramm, fired home a Louise Billingham cross.
Turner then scored her second and Stanborough netted her double from a corner 10 minutes from time.
Gary Davis, manager of March Town Ladies FC, said: “It was a good performance with some excellent passing and moving throughout the game, especially considering some of the players hadn’t played together.”
March play Histon Ladies in their next fixture at Estover Park on Sunday, August 16 (2pm).
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 10 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
Davis’ side have also been accepted into the Women’s FA Cup for the 2020-21 season, and will play in an extra preliminary round tie on Sunday, September 6.