High-flying Wisbech racer George Russell selected as British Racing Drivers’ Club rising star
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech racer George Russell has been rewarded for his status as one of British motorsport’s most promising young drivers by being selected as a British Racing Drivers’ Club Rising Star.
The 16 year-old is leading the BRDC Formula 4 Championship with four race wins in his rookie season of car racing and has also taken podium finishes in the Formula Renault ALPS series.
The prestigious British Racing Drivers’ Club, which is heavily involved with Silverstone and the British Grand Prix, recognises the achievements of young drivers.
Russell said: “All the hard work is paying off, and I’m honoured to be part of such a great and historic club.
“I got a letter through the post asking me if I wanted to be a Rising Star, and of course I got in touch straight away and went down to Silverstone to see them.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as the recognition and prestige, it gives me access to the BRDC Clubhouse and contacts with so many important people in motorsport.
“I’m sure I’ll meet a lot of influential figures and that can only help me progress in the sport.”
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
Russell’s first race as a BRDC Rising Star will be at the club’s Silverstone base, when he defends his BRDC F4 Championship lead on August 16-17.