High-flying Wisbech racer George Russell selected as British Racing Drivers’ Club rising star
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech racer George Russell has been rewarded for his status as one of British motorsport’s most promising young drivers by being selected as a British Racing Drivers’ Club Rising Star.
The 16 year-old is leading the BRDC Formula 4 Championship with four race wins in his rookie season of car racing and has also taken podium finishes in the Formula Renault ALPS series.
The prestigious British Racing Drivers’ Club, which is heavily involved with Silverstone and the British Grand Prix, recognises the achievements of young drivers.
Russell said: “All the hard work is paying off, and I’m honoured to be part of such a great and historic club.
“I got a letter through the post asking me if I wanted to be a Rising Star, and of course I got in touch straight away and went down to Silverstone to see them.
“As well as the recognition and prestige, it gives me access to the BRDC Clubhouse and contacts with so many important people in motorsport.
“I’m sure I’ll meet a lot of influential figures and that can only help me progress in the sport.”
- 1 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 2 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 3 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 4 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 7 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 8 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 10 Depleted villagers battle on in courageous defeat
Russell’s first race as a BRDC Rising Star will be at the club’s Silverstone base, when he defends his BRDC F4 Championship lead on August 16-17.